Cougars to be without Cleveland on Saturday

The Cougars’ offense was dealt another blow when it was announced that wide receiver and team captain James

James Cleveland will be absent Saturday when the Cougars host Mississippi State at Robertson Stadium. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Cleveland is suspended for Saturday’s game against Mississippi State for breaking an undisclosed team rule.

Through four games, Cleveland is the team’s leading receiver with 20 catches for 324 yards and three touchdowns.

“James made a mistake, which is uncharacteristic of him,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said in a statement. “I am disappointed because up until now he has done everything we have asked of him. He is very remorseful and hopefully will use this as a learning experience and be ready to go next week.”

Look for Justin Johnson and Kenneth Bibbins to fill Cleveland’s void. Johnson is listed as a running back, but has played the role of fullback, wide receiver and tight end in practice and scrimmages. Bibbins is also a versatile tight end.

“Justin Johnson has been the primary replacement,” Sumlin said. “He’s done a lot for this football team by filling in a lot of different areas. He’s a very versatile player. Kenneth Bibbins has played a lot this year. He’s played in every game. I look for those two to pick up the slack.”

Cleveland’s punishment is just for this week, and Sumlin said the receiver will be active for the team’s next game Oct. 16 at Rice.

“As he continues to handle his business this week, I look forward to seeing him next week,” Sumlin said.

Running back Bryce Beall said, despite Cleveland’s mistake, teammates will be supportive of him. Although the team is trying to maintain focus after another hardship, Beall said it gives the team a chance to prove itself yet again.

“We just got to pick each other up and be there for each other,” Beall said. “That’s one thing we’ve been saying — we’re a family. When one falls, we all fall. We need to make sure everyone is on the same page. We need to do a better job at that.

“We’ve faced a lot of adversity so far. Championship teams overcome these situations. I’m excited to see how our team reacts to it Saturday against Mississippi State.”

In Sumlin’s three-year tenure as head coach at UH, he has been no stranger to difficult times. In his first year as coach in 2008, the team went through Hurricane Ike.

Sumlin said he does not know who will step up without Cleveland but that he has confidence in the group of offensive players that will play Saturday.

“It surprises you all the time,” Sumlin said. “This team has faced adversity since we’ve been here. There’s a bunch of guys that went through a hurricane in year one and a receiver that we didn’t know anything about. Patrick Edwards, two weeks after that, breaks his leg and comes back and has 1,000 yards (last season). Tyron Carrier has played three years and had 1,000 yards last year. Bryce Beall has been our player of the year.”

“We’ve got plenty of guys on offense that, whether they’re seniors or not, have played three years. They’re capable and know what it takes to win, what it takes to prepare and have seen a lot of stuff happen. It surprises you every year.”