Softball

Softball team prepares for last fall tuneup

After grabbing two victories Sunday over Alvin Community College and Big 12 opponent Baylor, the UH softball team will play the final tournament of its fall campaign Oct. 9-10 at the Sugar Land College Classic.

The Cougars fell to Texas State 2-0 last weekend in the Spring Klein College Classic after falling to Texas A&M 6-0.

Head coach Kyla Holas said she doesn’t want to see her players make the same mistakes that were made in Saturday’s tournament opener.

“We are going to see some different lineups again, just like we did last week, and hopefully they will be able to communicate and show what they are made of,” Holas said.

Saturday’s schedule features a doubleheader against Galveston College and Texas State beginning at noon.

Sunday, the Cougars are slated for another doubleheader against UL-Lafayette and San Jacinto College.

Holas said that these tournaments act as a gauge to determine where they are as a team. During practice this week, the Cougars focused on fundamentals, but made adjustments to lineups and the pitching rotation.

“We have a large squad, a bigger team than we have had in the past,” Holas said. “We have some good competition in some spots, so we are really trying to create an environment in which every person is trying to get better. Then we can see what best nine players can produce the most wins for us.”

Freshman pitcher Diedre Outon will make her second start of the fall season against UL-Lafayette. The freshman allowed only two runs and five hits in her first start against Texas A&M. Holas said that she wants to see other players step up to lead this team.

“We are going to try to bring Diedre against them (UL-Lafayette), so we can really see what she is made of and give her a chance to be a leader,” Holas said. “Her ball has a lot of movement, so we want to give her a chance to see how frustrated she can make them.”

The team has not announced its spring schedule, but will resume in February.