Administration

UH official named to Houston’s clean city commission

Recycling is in full effect, and while red was the new black, green is the new way to go.

Last year, UH participated in the annual RecycleMania event, and plans for the 2011 tournament are being finalized for some time next semester. | Daily Cougar File Photo

Emily Messa, who was appointed to the City of Houston Clean City Commission on Sept. 29, is focused on putting this into full effect.

“I look forward to learning more about the city and the efforts by the city to promote recycling and litter prevention,” Messa said. “I’m also looking forward to understanding all of the resources available, and how Houstonians can make a difference in keeping Houston a beautiful place to live.”

Messa oversees Green UH and serves as chair of the Sustainability Task Force. She said she is looking forward to new achievements made while being a member of the Commission, particularly in educating people.

“I’m a big believer in education, and how education can have a positive impact on people, their life and their health,” Messa said. “When you’re educating people about the environment and their own impact on it, you have the opportunity to change someone’s life.”

Going green, along with recycling, has made an impact and started a popular trend on campus as well. More students are doing their part in keeping the campus clean, as well as taking advantage of the ability and growing availability of recycling opportunities.

“The biggest success I’ve seen is that people are talking not only about recycling, but about ways that we can reduce and reuse our on campus waste,” Messa said. “We are also having a lot of fun with the RecycleMania campaigns that we have on campus; people see that it can be fun to recycle.”

She said she is excited to see the changes that can be implemented throughout the city of Houston.

“Reducing, reusing and recycling is important, because it reminds us that as consumers of many products we have a responsibility to appropriately dispose of what we consume,” Messa said. “Being green is about being a good citizen of the planet — and that’s everyone’s responsibility.”

Messa said she is particularly happy with the initiative on campus.

“It makes me so proud to see so many recycling bins on campus, and people are using them,” Messa said. “I know that there is always room for improvement, but I do believe we have a great foundation of success to build upon.”

With a growing knowledge of how to recycle its importance on the environment, people are taking a new pride in their city and it isn’t in vain.

“I’m always an advocate for Houston,” Messa said. “I want to help preserve the great, natural beauty of our city.”