Soccer

Soccer team falls out of 1st place

The Cougars stumbled into some inclement weather — and results — in their final out-of-state road trip of the season. The Cougars lost 2-0 to UAB in Birmingham, Ala., before tying Memphis 1-1 in a double-overtime match that was interrupted by thunderstorms.

The Cougars, who have yet to lose at Robertson Stadium this season (8-1-0 overall at home), now fall to 0-2-2 on the road in conference play. Road victories have proved elusive for Conference USA teams this season. Only three of the 12 teams in C-USA – UCF, SMU and the Tigers — have a .500 record or better in away matches.

The Cougars, who are third in C-USA with an average of 17.7 shots per game, managed 11 against the Blazers, five of which were on goal.

Against the Tigers, the Cougars managed to get four of their seven shots on goal, but only connected on one of them. Sophomore Kaci Bush scored the Cougars lone goal, her second of the season, off a header with freshman Jasmine Martinez, who picked up her second assist of the year.

The Cougars will head across town to face Rice on Friday at 7 p.m. to close out the regular season. The Owls have gone winless in their last five matches (0-3-2) after beginning conference play with a 5-0-0 record.

The Cougars have already clinched a spot in the C-USA tournament, but can secure a first round bye with a victory and Blazers victory at the Tigers. The tournament features the top six teams in C-USA, the winner of which receives a bid the to NCAA Championships.

Memphis beat Rice 1-0 Friday, and moved up to second place in C-USA after tying with UH. UCF dominated, defeating Tulsa Friday 3-1 and shutting out SMU Sunday 3-0.