Faculty & Staff

Drilling advances lead to award for UH physics professor

The Society of Exploration Geophysicists has recognized UH physics professor Arthur Weglein with one of its highest honors, but he gives credit to others who have helped him in his years of research.

“(This award) is a testament to the vision, courage, and capability of our group and my colleagues — and former and current students,” he said.

Weglein, a Hugh Roy and Lillie Cranz Cullen Distinguished Professor of physics, received the award in recognition of research that has led to advances in the field of seismic exploration technology in the annual conference Oct. 17 in Denver.

Weglein and his team, which is comprised of UH faculty, researchers, staff and graduate students, specialized in advancing seismic processing and imaging.

“We developed a comprehensive method that allows all processing goals to be achieved without the current need for subsurface information,” Weglein said. “This award recognizes the contribution made by our fundamental-directed research effort that addresses priority challenges of the petroleum industry.”

The petroleum industry and the federal government support Mission-Oriented Seismic Research Program in its efforts to advance the energy exploration industry.

The recipient of the Reginald Fressenen award is someone who has made a significant contribution to exploration geophysics.

“It speaks volumes to the willingness of industry to support high-risk high-impact long-term research, as long as the potential benefits are well-communicated in terms that make sense to them,” Weglein said. “Our goal is to make currently inaccessible petroleum targets accessible.”

The research and knowledge attained by Weglein and his team are creating benefits in the seismic processing and imaging industry that will be invaluable for people in this field in the forthcoming years.