Comedian Hopkins serves up laughs on UH campus

This week the Student Program Board had the UC’s Houston room action packed, hosting several events that propagated the spirit of Halloween back into the hearts of UH students.

Wednesday night comedian John P. Hopkins hosted the presentation “Mysterium” in a room full of people saturated in fascination with his magical endeavors and whimsical satire.

This “thrilling comedic act of magic!,” as stated on the flyer, engaged many people’s interest based on crowd participation and the “oohs and ahhhs” seeping out of their lips innumerable times. Hopkins was quite the magician.

The tricks executed on stage were quite impressive, leaving the audience intrigued and a bit indecisive on whether to feel scared or excited. Something unique about his performance was the connection he obtained with the audience.

Any time he asked for a volunteer, many hands rose, anticipating a chance to share the stage with the comedian.

Multiple people went on stage and engaged in miraculous experiments with Hopkins. He offered prizes to those who could endure the events that took place for before our eyes, which contributed even more interest. Hopkins’ last trick, which involved him forcing a balloon down his throat, sealed the deal with a comment from one viewer that was a bit vulgar but added to the crowd’s unremitting laughter.

This event “fits the October fest event, it basically fits the theme and the choice of the performers was based on his proficiency in magical events” said Adriann Hobbs, a member of the special events chair.