UH notebook: Cross country teams wrap up season

The UH men’s team cross country team placed sixth at the C-USA championships with David Smith and Nate Pienda coming in 27th and 34th place, respectively. Megan Munoz and Kat Ducommun placed 31st and 37th for the women, who finished seventh.

Preseason matchup called off

Head women’s basketball coach Todd Buchanan announced Monday that the team cancelled its Nov. 8 exhibition game against the Houston Jaguars. The Cougars will start the 2010-2011 season against UT Arlington on Nov. 14 at Hofheinz Pavilion.

For Buchanan, this season marks his first as head coach of the Cougars after he spent five years as an assistant coach and recruiter for former coach Joe Curl from 2001-05. He spent the last five seasons as the head coach at HBU. With a returning starting lineup, the Cougars are looking to make their ninth postseason appearance in school history.

Novemberfest begins Wednesday

While some sports are coming to an end, the women’s and men’s basketball season is about to start. The athletics department is highlighting the month by giving students the opportunity to win various prizes including the grand prize– a class ring. Other prizes include two sideline passes to the football games against Central Florida and Tulsa, a men’s basketball suite seating up to 15, autographed memorabilia and more.

The event starts Wednesday and will last until Nov. 14, and students can register for the chance to win prizes. In addition to Novemberfest, the Coogs’ House Contest will be held at the same time. Residence halls and apartments were given vouchers to turn in before Friday’s football game against UCF. The winner will be determined by the highest percentage of students in attendance.

Volleyball game moved ahead

Because of Friday’s football game, the volleyball team moved Friday’s game up two hours, starting at 5 p.m. against UAB.