Let’s hope Pick Punch a good buy

The Life and Arts Desk at the Daily Cougar has just made its first impulse buy of the semester. There were a lot of possibilities that came across the desk, mainly the Shake Weight. There was never any intention to work out with the Shake Weight; we just wanted to see how many people we could get to use it and laugh.

Thankfully, we managed to keep from handing out money until coming across the Pick Punch. We have The Rod Ryan show to thank for giving us the tip to buy this. The Pick Punch is a punch product that creates guitar picks. What could be more awesome than that? Scratch that. There are a lot of things that would be more amazing than sitting at home alone turning everything plastic in your house into a guitar pick. A few products that come to mind are Lamborghinis, a Taylor acoustic guitar or even a suit.

Every time “How I Met your Mother” comes on television, we get a little teary-eyed thinking of how if Barney told us to “suit up,” we couldn’t even be as well-dressed as Ted.

But all of that aside, we are happy with the purchase we made. Now, the product says that it is able to turn credit cards into picks. This will probably be the first thing that we do. We can’t be getting all crazy with impulse buys, or our mothers will get upset.

Now, there are a lot of things that are plastic. Around us on the desks are rulers, CD cases and CDs, a DVD case (strangely no DVDs) and expired gift cards. At home, there are Tupperware lids and old toys. All of these things will be pick-ified in the coming days.

What we want to see now on the comments to this story on our website is a list of things that you would like to see turned into a guitar pick.

Next week, we will report some of the best ideas back and how the picks work when we use them as actual guitar picks.

There is going to be two categories — things that are the funniest to turn in to picks, and things that work the best.

Now we don’t get to shove a lot of things in the faces of the other desk. People care about sports, opinion gets comments online, and news claims actually to be professional. But none of them can play the guitar, so take that with your actual reporters — we can play music and use the royal we.

• Try the free shopper rewards cards at your local supermarket, drug store, etc. Grab a card (inside the member application package) and you should be able to punch the logo portion into a pretty cool pick.

I don't own a pick punch yet, but I'm jonesing for one!