State

Perry trumps White to win re-election in governor’s race

Republican Gov. Rick Perry defeated Democrat and former Houston Mayor Bill White on Tuesday to win his third

Former Houston Mayor Bill White fell short in his bid to unseat Gov. Rick Perry in Tuesday's election, drawing just 42 percent of the vote. | Schipulites

four-year term.

Perry, who won with 56.6 percent of the vote, has been in the spotlight during his campaign for criticizing President Barack Obama’s policies and crediting Texas for having one of the strongest economies in the nation.

White took the time to address the public by giving his concession speech before complete results were released. He told the crowd that early polls showed that it would be difficult for him to win.

“Tonight, despite the hard work of tens of thousands of Texans, it does not look like we will elect a new governor,” White said during his speech. “(Wife) Andrea and I want to congratulate Rick Perry.”

He then took the time to thank his supporters for all their efforts during his campaign and encouraged Texans to continue their effort beyond the election.

“We’re going to see that a record number of Texans have gone to the ballot box today,” White said. “To those Texans, your work is not finished as a citizen when you vote.”

Introduced by wife Anita, Perry walked onstage at his victory speech to an enthusiastic crowd with a smile on his face.

“Texas has spoken, and we’re on the right track by exercising the most precious right,” Perry said. “The citizens of our state have sent a very clear message with their votes.”

He said voters recognized the importance of “good jobs, safe neighborhoods and accountable schools for their kids.”

Perry, the state’s longest-serving governor, survived a re-election battle in a year when frustrated voters routinely tossed out incumbents.

“In the weeks and months leading up to this election, we have heard a lot about enthusiasm gaps and antiincumbent sentiment,” he said. “The issue at hand is not on how long a person has been in office, but how hard they work to limit the size and reach of government.”

He also said that Texas citizens are tired of big government raising taxes.

“I am genuinely optimistic that we’re one day closer to seeing physical conservative approaches applied at the national level as well,” Perry said. “I want to challenge those new faces in Washington to press for change sooner than later — I want them to go in there and really go to work.”

Perry will be handling major budget battles in Austin in the future, but he said he is ready to face them.

• I find it odd that Perry talks about how voters evidently re-elected him because of "how hard [he] work[s] to limit the size and reach of government," yet he's responsible for more and more of Texans' money going to government tolls on roads that are already built but barely being maintained. I think it's hardly a limit when you have to pay government just to get anywhere. Idiot.

• It's a very sad day for Texas, and Meagan…you're obviously a rick perry supporter…one who can't spell. Since or SENSE! ?

• Yescenia if that is your real name, your are calling the Governor of a State in which live a thieve right, oh it is America you can do that . Yes Free Speech, Freedom to insult your rulers even if it means lies , but majority of Texans calls him Angelic human, and he is one person your negative ideology will not stop from doing good. The Governor of Texas, Rick Perry is Saint in the making ok.. The lovers of good things wants just to emulate Rick Perry' life style, but most people with rotten character hate his ways. So please, Yescenia use your Lips to count your teeth.