Activities & Organizations

UH organizations prepare for homecoming week activities

UH will celebrate the Cougar spirit during this year’s homecoming week, which is appropriately themed “LIVE the pride” and promises to be the University’s largest and most exciting homecoming celebration in its history.

In addition to the traditional homecoming activities — like the parade and the football game against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane — Homecoming 2010 will feature two new activities designed to promote school pride and encourage Cougars to march forward with the flagship endeavor.

The Cooglympics are being introduced on Saturday to this year’s homecoming week, giving student organizations the chance to compete as teams in four sports: basketball, flag football, soccer and volleyball.

“From the student body to the alumni and from the professors to the administration, the greatest thing that homecoming does within these groups is that it fosters a sense of school spirit and pride in the University,” Frontiersmen Foreman Kelly Waterman said.

The University has also added a Canned-Food Sculpture Contest on Nov. 11, which will allow student organizations the chance to express their artistic side while helping out the community by donating canned goods to charity.

Some of the celebrations, which begin Saturday and concludes with the football game on Nov. 13, includes a 5K Fun Run/Walk, a pep rally and tailgating activities.

Waterman is chairman of this year’s 5k Fun Run/Walk, which is in its second year. He said he expects participation to increase up to 10 times of what it was in 2009.

Waterman also will lead the frontiersmen in the homecoming parade and carry the Frontier Fiesta board on the frontiersmen float.

Homecoming 2010’s subtheme, “Through the Decades,” emphasizes the University’s alumni, rich history and traditions, but the week also serves as a reminder for Cougars to focus on the future and achieving flagship status.

“Homecoming gives you a reason to come back after you get your degree,” Waterman said. “It allows alumni to connect and relieve some of their college experiences, and share them with future generations.”