Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball team roars to 2-0 start

And just like that, the Cougars are 2-0.

After a weekend of play, the Cougars opened up the 2010-2011 campaign with a 63-62 overtime victory against Nicholls State on Friday and an 88-68 drubbing of Alcorn State on Sunday.

UH started off slow in its season opener against the Colonels. After trading baskets for the first 10 minutes, the Cougars found themselves in a hole trailing 27-18 with 5:31 remaining in the first half.

They dug themselves out with strong defensive play and good execution, and entered the second half trailing 29-24.

The Cougars were challenged by the torrid shooting of Colonel forward Fred Hunter, who accounted for 16 of their 29 first half points. He finished the night 12-21 from the floor for 28 points along with eight rebounds.

After the break the Cougars came out firing. Led by senior guard Adam Brown, the Cougars went on a 15-0 run with Brown accounting for 13 of the points scored in the stretch.

“I had to show the team that we could be aggressive,” Brown said.

Head coach James Dickey said that intensity was missing in the first half, but was key to the win.

“I was disappointed that we didn’t get to the free throw line more than 20 times tonight,” Dickey said.

Brown hit two clutch free throws to tie the game at 53, as the clock wound down to the final moments of the second half. That score remained, and the Cougars entered the overtime frame with momentum at their backs.

In the final seconds of overtime, the Cougars trailed 62-61. Forward Maurice McNeil received the inbound pass in the low post, drove to the basket and finished with two hands putting the Cougars up by a point with four seconds on the clock. The Colonels inbounded, and forward Anatoly Bose had a good look at a 3-pointer as time expired, but it rimmed out securing the 63-62 win.

For McNeil it was his first game winning shot of his career.

“As soon as I got the ball, I figured I would either score or get fouled,” McNeil said.

Although disappointed with the teams 26 turnovers, he was pleased with the end result. He said the leadership shown by seniors Brown, McNeill and Nixon aided in the victory.

Brown finished with 20 Points on 6-9 shooting to lead the team. McNeil posted a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds.

“They really competed hard,” Dickey said. “That’s what you expect your seniors to do, make plays.”

With only one day of rest between games, the Cougars looked sharper as they took the court against Alcorn State on Sunday.

Opening the game with a 9-0 run, with dominant play by Brown, McNeil and junior guard Darian Thibodeaux the Cougars carried the momentum early. But they relaxed on defense, and gave up easy baskets before the period was over, and went into halftime with the score tied 35-35.

UH got more production from their reserves Sunday, as freshman forward Alandise Harris came off the bench for 15 points and five rebounds on 3-8 shooting. He was nine of 13 from the free-throw line. Harris set the tone early by driving to the basket, and getting to the charity stripe often.

The Cougars opened the second half strong with Nixon orchestrating the fast break, and Brown making plays on offense.

The Cougars cut their turnover margin in half with 13, aiding the 20-point victory.

Nixon finished the game just shy of a double-double with eight points and 10 assists on 3-4 shooting. The Cougars pulled away with overwhelming offense, as McNeil posted his second straight double-double finishing with 19 points and 12 rebounds.

UH goes on the road for their next contest against the Louisiana State Tech at 7 p.m. Wednesday.