Author, entrepreneur speaks at Bauer College of Business

Over the course of three days, author and entrepreneur Peter Thomas shared advice and exciting stories about his

Author and businessman Peter Thomas paid a three-day visit to the UH campus and signed copies of his book. Proceeds from campus book sales went towards scholarships for the Bauer College of Business. | Courtesy of Chase Pedigo

life with UH business students and members of the Houston community.

Thomas visited UH from Wednesday to Friday as part of his “Be Great” book tour, which was presented in Houston by the C.T. Bauer College of Business and the Bauer Leadership Consortium Advisory Group.

What motivates Thomas on his journey is the opportunity to give back to the community.

“I have had a very blessed life, so to have the opportunity to be able to give back is what keeps me going,” he said.

Thomas shared with people the advice he talks about in his new book “Be Great: The Five Foundations of an Extraordinary Life.”

As simple as it may sound, Thomas says that having values, focus, visualization, inspiration and reflection as important foundations in your life can make one a successful person.

“When your values are clear, your decisions are easier,” Thomas said.

Every person has his or her own values, and having one’s own values straight is always essential.

“Your personal principles define what is most important to you,” he said.

Thomas discussed goals and fears, saying everyone should be realistic and really think about what they want to achieve in life. Whatever this may be, Thomas said, people should not let anything get in their way.

“Don’t ever be afraid of failure,” he said. “Get up and do what you do.”

Thomas strongly encourages people to visualize goals before they happen.

“Your mind sees it as a done deal,” he said. “First, see it. Second, imagine positive results. Lastly, believe it will happen.”

Marcela Pinto, manager of the Ted Bauer Leadership Certificate Program, said students have already told her how beneficial it was to have someone like Thomas as a guest speaker.

“It is beneficial to have a successful business person talk about what students learn in the classroom and how to apply all those things they learn in the certificate program,” Pinto said.

Some students attended the events for class credit, but many attended for the chance to hear Thomas speak.

“(Thomas was a) really interesting speaker,” economics and global business junior Omar Barazi said. “A very influential guy I could really learn from.

“Thomas encourages everyone to have A.M.C: a great Attitude, Motivation, and Commitment.”

During his time on campus, Thomas made a large classroom visit and held a book-signing event. He also held a “LifePilot” workshop, which is designed to promote change and growth in participants.

Proceeds from his book sales in the area also benefitted student scholarships at the Bauer school.