Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball squad to make road debut in Louisiana

After a promising first weekend of action at the Hofheinz Pavilion, the Cougars will go on the road to take on Louisiana Tech.

The Cougars are off to their first 2-0 start since the beginning of the 2006-2007 campaign and only the second 2-0 start since the 1997-98 season. The Bulldogs (1-1) are coming off their first victory for the young season, a 90-58 rout of Austin College on Saturday.

So far the Cougars have been led by the production of their three seniors. Guard Adam Brown leads the team in points with an average of 21.5 points per game. Senior point guard Zamal Nixon, who is doing his part distributing the ball, averaged 7.5 assists in both games. Maurice McNeil, who was awarded Conference USA Player of the Week on Monday, is averaging a double-double this season of 15.5 points and 12.5 rebounds.

Head coach James Dickey has been pleased with the team’s performance thus far, especially the hard-nosed play of Nixon, who had 10 assists and five steals in Sunday’s game.

“We really challenged Zamal,” Dickey said. “He was one of the reasons we played as well as we did in the second half.

“That’s what point guards have to do, they have to defend. He made a couple of nice plays that gave us momentum.”

The Cougars are 2-1 against Louisiana Tech and last season when they played, UH won 99-94 on Dec. 29, 2009.

Today’s game will mark the first road game of the season for the Cougars, who are looking to continue the dominance they showed in Sunday’s win. The game starts at 7 p.m. at the Thomas Assembly Center, and can be listened to on KBME SportsTalk 790 AM.