Commentary

Better days ahead for freshman quarterback

When David Piland emerged as the starting quarterback Oct. 9 against Mississippi State, Terrance Broadway became the most popular player on campus.

Freshman quarterback David Piland has found out that filling the shoes of Case Keenum is no easy task. Piland is 2-3 as a starter. | Jairo Razo/The Daily Cougar

Once senior Case Keenum was lost for the season after the UCLA game, it was assumed among Cougar fans that Broadway would be the next signal caller to lead the program.

After Broadway won his first and only start against Tulane, fans had custom-printed T-shirts that read “Case closed…slight detour to Broadway.”

Maybe they should have waited another week to press their shirts.

Fast forward to last Saturday against Tulsa when Piland threw his fifth interception to end a potentially game-winning drive. Broadway came into the picture again — at least from the fans’ perspective. They chanted his name in hopes he would replace Piland and rescue the Cougars.

It is only natural for fans to call upon the backup the instant the starter shows some inconsistency. Armchair coaches may believe the only thing ailing the UH offense is a change at the quarterback position.

It worked for the No. 18-ranked Texas A&M when junior Ryan Tannehill replaced senior Jerrod Johnson midway through the season. The Aggies lost several important games by small margins with Johnson at the helm. Despite holding school records, Johnson lost his job.

Since A&M head coach Mike Sherman made the change, the team has gone 3-0, ascended into the top 25 — and has a shot to win the Big 12 South. In some cases, that is the only thing holding the team back, but not here.

Head coach Kevin Sumlin and his staff are in a different predicament with two true freshmen six months removed from their senior proms. Piland and Broadway were originally not even supposed to play this year with redshirts; both were thrust into the action. This left the coaching staff in a scramble to acclimate the freshmen to the elaborate offense ranked No. 1 in the country last season.

With little preparation, both have done a good job, considering their lack of experience. Complaints are at their highest this week after the Tulane loss, but fans must realize Piland will likely be a constant in UH Athletics the next three years.

In the Cougars’ losses to Rice, UCF and Tulsa, they were just one big offensive play away from winning the game. Piland is not solely to blame for the Cougars being .500 — or for his eight interceptions. We knew there would be growing pains, and they could last into next season.

But there is no denying Piland’s skill. He has a quick release and still throws confidently after making mistakes. While he does not have the speed that Keenum has, he has still shown an ability to escape pressure.

Unlike Keenum, Piland can throw the deep ball with more accuracy. If not for the stellar performance of freshman Jeff Godrey at UCF, Piland should be under consideration for Conference USA Newcomer of the Year.

On the upside, much of the depth on offense is all likely to return next season. Patrick Edwards should be back for his senior season, itching to show NFL scouts he deserves to be playing on Sundays. The track speed of Tyron Carrier will also return.

The Cougars will be stocked at the running back position with running backs Bryce Beall and Michael Hayes. Charles Sims will also return after being ruled ineligible this season.

With a year of familiarity to the offense and a stable of weapons, Piland should be more comfortable manning the UH offense.

After this season, the quarterback situation is a mystery. There has been no word on Keenum’s appeal for a sixth year of eligibility. If Keenum is not granted the extra year, Cotton Turner’s shoulder will be healed, and he could be the starter. The possibility exists that Piland may not play again until his junior season, but either way, he will have the experience of seven games from this year.

The Cougars will have to fight just to have a winning season, and Piland’s performances will be heavily analyzed now that the team is in direstraits.

He has a chance to change his critics’ minds and get UH bowl-eligible — or encourage a quarterback controversy going into the spring season.