Cougars’ bowl hopes in jeopardy after loss to Southern Miss

The UH offense is always dangerous to any defense, but the Cougars found no success when they let the opposing offense mimic their strategy.

Running back Bryce Beall was a non-factor Saturday, being held to 17 rushing yards on 10 carries. | Joe Harper/BGN Photo

The Cougars’ defense was unable to slow down Southern Miss, losing 59-41 Saturday.

The Cougars’ goal of reaching the C-USA Championship Game was officially dashed with the loss, because SMU beat Marshall 31-17, and Tulsa outlasted UTEP 31-28. If SMU (6-5, 5-2 C-USA) wins next week, they will represent the West division; if they lose, it will be Tulsa (8-3, 5-2).

The Cougars (5-6, 4-4) have one more chance to extend their season next weekend at Texas Tech.

Things got interesting when the Cougars scored as the first half expired to make the score 24-20 at halftime. Wesley Scourten blocked the field goal, and Tyron Carrier picked up the ball and weaved his way for a 57-yard return for a touchdown.

“I tried to hold off just long enough to get them to think that the play was over,” Carrier said. “As soon as they got close enough, I picked it up and I had a lane.

Afterward the Cougars’ offense was shut down, being held scoreless in the third quarter while the Golden Eagles had tacked on another 14 points to making it 38-20 to start the fourth quarter.

“We were hoping to get a big momentum shift going into the half,” Carrier said. “It helped us out a lot, but unfortunately we didn’t come out and start like we were supposed to. We tried to get some plays in to shift the momentum. We had if for a little bit but it didn’t work out as well.”

The offense got back on track in the fourth quarter to score 21 points, but the defense was not capable of shutting down the Golden Eagles as they too scored 21.

“That’s what is disappointing about the third quarter,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said. “We did go into the locker room with some juice after the block and the return to get back to within four. We kicked off to them and we couldn’t get off the field.”

For the second straight week the UH defense faced a potent running attack led by a quarterback.

Southern Miss quarterback Austin Davis ran for 111 yards and four touchdowns.

“It wasn’t anything that we didn’t expect,” Sumlin said. “We just couldn’t get it done. Games change up from week to week, you tweak things here and there. We get one thing stopped, and they throw in another scheme. Obviously we’re working on it, it doesn’t look like it, but we still couldn’t get it down tonight.”

Southern Miss was able to overcome the emotional toll of three of its defensive players being shot last Sunday. Defensive end Dedrick Jones has been released after being shot in the chest, but linebacker Martez Smith’s spinal cord was severed – leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. Linebacker Tim Green was shot in the neck and is unable to speak after the incident.

Despite his injury Smith was in attendance for the Golden Eagles’ Senior Day.

“First of all we set out honor our three wounded brothers,” Southern Miss head coach Larry Fedora told the media after the game. “I could not let emotion be involved, and that is what I was worried about with our football team. These guys went out on the field with tears streaming down on their face, and that is dangerous.”

The Cougars will head to Lubbock for a 7 p.m. matchup Saturday, which equates to a playoff game. They’ll become bowl eligible with win; their season ends with a loss.