Bins boost green plan

New trash and recycling bins were placed on campus in an effort to lower operating costs, fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

The solar bins, manufactured by Big Belly Solar, were placed at the University Center and Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall in November.

“Current containers on campus are emptied every day, and it typically takes 5-7 minutes per container,” said Central Facilities Manager James Ballowe. “With fewer containers, our time is drastically reduced.”

The bins are completely powered by the sun and can hold five times the volume of ordinary trash receptacles. Each 32-gallon container can hold about 160 gallons of trash and recycling, according to a UH news release.

“The Big Belly takes the place of several bins, cutting overall time and fuel,” Ballowe said.

The bins also provide awareness of UH’s green initiative by encouraging students to recycle.

“It is our hope that students will be mindful and instead of throwing their trash away, they will consider what they have and place it in the appropriate bin,” Ballowe said. “Most trash discarded on campus is plastic and aluminum soft drink containers and lots of paper products.

“Students have said the bins have a cool design, are more appealing and are a better option.

“Two bins were placed at each location to test them out. Throughout the semester data will be collected and a decision will be made on whether the program should go campus-wide,” Ballowe said.