Men's Basketball

Brown, Harris lift UH over Mustangs

Three seconds remained on the clock, and the Cougars were clinging to a slim two-point lead.

SMU guard Mike Walker missed a wide open three-pointer as time expired, and the Cougars squeaked out of Moody Coliseum with a 70-68 win.

After opening up Conference USA play with a loss to Southern Miss., the Cougars (10-6, 2-1 C-USA) are winners of their last two and appear to be picking up momentum.

Senior guard Adam Brown came up with the Cougars’ final bucket that gave them a 67-66 lead with 1:40 remaining. After freshman forward Alandise Harris converted two free throws, SMU forward Papa Dia, came up with a dunk that made it 69-68.

Zamal Nixon was intentionally fouled with four seconds remaining, with a chance to extend the lead to three points. Nixon could only hit one of two, giving the Mustangs a chance to win with a three.

Prior to the final 1:40 of the game, there were 13 lead changes in the second half. It was a hotly- contested affair in which neither team led by more than six points.

The Cougars missed only two free throws and committed only 10 turnovers, to the Mustangs’ 12. With a season high of 11 made 3-pointers, UH has now hit at least one trey in 290 straight contests.

Brown led the Cougars with 22 points while adding two rebounds and assists. Alandise Harris had another notable performance recording a double-double with 19 points and 11 rebounds.

Darian Thibodeaux proved to be a threat from deep scoring a career high of 17 points while shooting five of eight beyond the arc.

SMU’s Dia led all scorers with 23 points and 11 rebounds on eight of 12 shooting.

Forward Robert Nyakundi added 22 points, four rebounds and three assists. Guard Colin Mangrum chipped in with 13 points.

SMU (10-7, 1-2 C-USA) dropped only their fourth home game in 13 appearances this season. In the Mustangs’ last game they beat Memphis 54-48

The win puts the Cougars in fourth place in C-USA, and they are tied with Memphis and Tulsa with a 2-1 mark in conference play.

UH returns home Jan. 19 for more conference action against the Golden Hurricane of Tulsa (9-8, 2-1 C-USA) — the first contest of a two-game homestand.

The Cougars will be trying to put together a three-game winning streak for the first time this season.

The game tips off at 6 p.m. at Hofheinz Pavilion and will be televised on CBS College Sports.