Women's Basketball

UH rallies for fifth straight win

Senior guard Brittney Scott

Senior guard Brittney Scott surpassed legend Chandi Jones, and became the all-time leader in 3-pointers at UH. She has some time to stretch her margin with 12 games remaining. Scott scored 11 points in the win. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars picked up their fifth straight victory by a score of 74-65 over UAB and are off to their best start to open conference play since the 2004-05 season.

In addition to the win, Brittney Scott and Courtney Taylor were both able to push themselves into the top spots in the UH career marks in three point field goals made and rebounds, respectively.

Taylor gobbled up 14 boards to put her ahead of Vickey Finch. She also added 12 points for her 12th double-double of the season and 52nd of her career.

With 12 regular season games remaining, Taylor — who already owns the UH all-time record for double-doubles — has a chance to break Sancho Lyttle’s single-season mark of 22.

Scott passed Cougar great Chandi Jones by knocking down her first two three-point attempts, giving her 189 career 3-pointers. But she went on to miss her next six tries from deep.

After falling behind by eight at the half, the Cougars reeled off 11 unanswered points to open the second half. The Cougars would never trail again after taking the lead with just under 14 minutes to play.

Porsche Landry had another strong outing, scoring 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the field and a perfect 4-for-4 from deep. The win marks the seventh consecutive game in which Taylor and Landry have scored in double figures.

Landry combined with Taylor and Lesslee Mason (13 points) to lead the Cougars second half surge that saw UH put up 45 points on the Blazers while only turning the ball over four times.

Gritty defensive effort

The Cougars were active on defense, forcing the Blazers into 18 turnovers for the game and converting those into 20 points. Taylor led the way with a team high three blocks and two steals. With Tulane (15-3, 4-1 Conference USA) falling 86-91 to Southern Miss in overtime, the Cougars (14-4, 5-0) now sit atop the C-USA standings.

The Cougars will look to stay undefeated when they face Memphis (14-5, 3-2) at noon on Sunday at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Memphis is coming off of a 74-53 blowout win against UCF, snapping a two-game losing skid. The Tigers are led by top scoring juniors Brittany Carter and Jasmine Lee, who average 13.2 and 11.9 points a game respectively.