Staff Editorial

Obama: support US scientists and researchers

In an economy and job market that have seen better days, we find it inspiring that President Barack Obama chose to focus not on the next elections or partisanship, but on the future of the country, turning the State of the Union into the state of our futures.

“At stake right now is not who wins the next election … At stake is whether new jobs and industries take root in this country, or somewhere else. It’s whether the hard work and industry of our people is rewarded,” Obama said.

We hope that his message will reach those in Austin who wish to not only stunt, but squash the level of progress that has been made by the University and six fellow universities that are hoping to increase the number of flagship institutions Texas has to offer.

For years, the faculty, students, administration and staff at UH have worked together to build the various programs here, and the recent Tier One designation by the Carnegie Foundation shows that our community has been working hard. That hard work should be rewarded not punished.

Obama pointed out that, “because it’s not always profitable for companies to invest in basic research, throughout history our government has provided cutting-edge scientists and inventors with the support that they need.”

Our government has also provided support to the institutions that produce the next generation of scientists and inventors.

The president asked Congress and the American people to invest in making the US and its students the world leaders in innovation — to believe in American ingenuity and the youth of America once again. We ask that the Texas Legislature also believe.

We ask those in Austin intent on cutting disproportionately the levels of funding afforded to the state’s public institutions believe in the innovation that is happening here at UH and other universities; in community colleges, as small as they may be; and in the mind of the student who receives that financial aid check.

That belief will not only benefit the state, but the entire nation.