Speedy junior is key that ignites aggressive offense

Porsche Landry is contributing as a distributor and scorer for the Cougars, averaging 14.9 points and four assists through 19 contests. In her junior campaign Landry is showing her coaches and teammates why she deserves to be a three-year starter. Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

Point guard Porsche Landry made a splash in her freshman season starting all but one game, and now in her third season she has elevated her game to new heights.

Landry’s first name reflects the speed she showcases on the floor as she pushes the pace under first-year head coach Todd Buchanan’s fast-paced offense.

For Landry, an offense that suits her talents and takes her back to her high school playing days.

“I came from a team that all we did was press and run,” she said. “Then when I got here with coach Curl, he was more of a set kind of coach and not run fast breaks.

“That’s the difference with coach Buchanan. He wants to press and run, and that’s the kind of player I am. It makes it easier and it flows together.”

Buchanan was aware of Landry’s skills when he came to UH, and tried to recruit her three years ago when he was the head coach at Houston Baptist University.

“I knew from the beginning of this that with the team that I would inherit, starting with Porsche being the heartbeat and the tool that makes us go, “ Buchanan said.

“That’s my way of doing things, with her at the point I knew up-tempo offense would really be successful.”

Her teammates agree with Buchanan that Landry is the heart of the offense.

When Buchanan first met with the team, his message was about being aggressive and being as up-tempo as possible. He said he could remember Landry’s eyes light up when she heard of the new offensive philosophy.

Senior forward Courtney Taylor said the offense starts with Landry, and is vital to the team.

Under the new up-tempo offense Landry has raised her point average to 15.2, including going for 31 against Oral Roberts in November.

A family affair

Landry’s foray into basketball came in the way of her older brother and cousin, who at first were opposed to her playing with them.

“I always wanted to go and play but I couldn’t reach the goal,” Landry said. “But I could dribble it between my legs and they told me I couldn’t play until I reached the goal.”

Landry eventually reached the goal and was allowed to play, but she found herself playing with boys bigger than her. It was those games that gave Landry the confidence to be aggressive — and the reason why she often plays bigger than her 5-5 stature.

“It gave me courage,” she said. “I’m not scared to drive in against any big girl. If I can do it against boys, I can do it against girls; I just carry it over.”

Landry biggest influence in her life is her father, a former NFL player with the Cleveland Browns. Landry says his guidance keeps her life positive and hearing his past experiences is helpful.

“My dad pushed me a lot,” she said. “Basketball-wise, life, just everything. He’s been there before and he told me ‘I’ve been there, give it all you got, get your education,’ so right now he’s the biggest influence in my life.”

Landry is majoring in sociology, but said she is insure of what career-path she will pursue after her playing days have concluded.