Women's Basketball

Cougars coast against Tulane

Point guard Porsche Landry’s balanced performance of 20 points, five assists and five rebounds was instrumental to the Cougars’ ninth straight victory versus Conference USA opponents. | Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

Tulane fought back from a 15-point deficit at halftime, and trimmed the gap to four at the 6:09 mark in the second half.

The Green Wave would get no closer, as UH thwarted the rally with a responsive offense and an alert defensive presence to win 85-70 Sunday at Fogelman Arena.

The Cougars (18-4, 9-0 Conference USA) were a threat in the open court with 19 fast break points. Tulane coughed the ball up 21 times, and UH took full advantage, scoring 25 points off turnovers.

UH post players had a field day tallying 40 points in the paint. The offense showed efficiency, making 30 of 66 shots for a 45.5 field-goal percentage.

Forward Courtney Taylor led the Cougars in points with 21, and lassoed 18 rebounds for her 15th double-double of the season and the 55th of her career. She now has the most double-doubles in the program’s history, and is fourth in C-USA.

Taylor also added two blocks for 123 on her career — the third-most among all UH players.

Guard Brittney Scott contributed 19 points, draining three 3-pointers. Porsche Landry had an impressive stat line with 20 points, five assists and five rebounds.

The Cougars will look to maintain their success when they return home to play Rice at 7 p.m. Thursday at Hofheinz Pavilion.

They will get two days of rest before they host ECU on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. — a game that will be nationally televised on ESPN2.