Softball

Cougars attempt to start season with big swing

The 2011 season gets underway this weekend as the Cougars host the Houston Hilton Plaza Invitational at Cougar Softball Stadium.

The Cougars will participate in the invitational with No. 8 Michigan, Southern Illinois, Ohio and Stephen F. Austin as part of the weekend schedule of games.

“We’re mentally focused and ready to go,” catcher Melissa Gregson said. “We’re ready for the season to get underway.”

The Cougars open up play at 5 p.m. against Michigan. The last time these two teams squared off in 2009, the Cougars defeated the Wolverines 3-2.

Play continues into Saturday against the Southern Illinois Salukis at 1 p.m., followed by a game against the Ohio Bobcats at 3 p.m.

Last season, the Cougars were 20-18 in doubleheaders, with an 8-11 record in the first game and a 12-7 record in the second game.

The tournament wraps up at 1 p.m. Sunday against the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks. The Lumberjacks are the reigning Southland Conference champions.

“Everything that we do from here on out sets the tone for the rest of the season,” pitcher Donna Bourgeois said. “We might not win every single game, but we’re going to go in thinking that we’re going to win every single game.

“We have the best coaches, we have the best talent, so why shouldn’t we go and win?”