Soccer

UH tries to pick up where it left off

The Cougars look to build on recent victories over Texas A&M at the Presidents Day Invitational Challenge Cup this weekend in Tomball, the first competitive tournament of the spring season.

Head coach Susan Bush wants to continue building on the best season in UH history. In 2010 the Cougars finished with a record of 12-5-4, and were 8-1 in home games. The Cougars finished third in Conference USA.

“Our goal for the spring is to continue our winning attitude,” Bush said. “Our program needs to approach every competition with the intent to get a result, spring or fall.”

The 7v7 scrimmages two weeks ago against A&M focused on adapting to the speed of play and developing game fitness.

With three seniors graduating in 2010, the lineup is a concern for Bush.

“The spring is always a bit different than the fall season because you are not carrying a full roster,” Bush said. “Depth will be an issue when we play multiple games in one day.”

Last season the offense outscored opponents in the second half 25-8. The offensive unit will be on of the aspects Bush will keep an eye on.

“The team will focus on generating attacking plays and finding a rhythm,” Bush said. “We want to adopt a winning habit and to collectively improve.”

The first game will be against Baylor at 11:00 a.m. Saturday at Burroughs Park. The second match will be against North Texas at 3:00 p.m.