Softball

Senior transfer adds depth, makes immediate impact

Donna Bourgeois has had an outstanding career, but people who are not avid softball fans may not know who she is.

Bourgeois transferred to UH from Louisiana-Lafayette after three stellar seasons with the Ragin’ Cajuns. After being released from her scholarship at Louisiana-Lafayette, she decided to attend UH for a better choice in academic options, while still being able to participate in softball.

“They have a great program here,” Bourgeois said. “They’re competitive on a national level, and they have a great coaching staff and group of girls.”

Bourgeois is also a two-time Louisiana Sports Writers Association Player of the Year and is among the 50 players selected to this year’s USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year watch list. She also comes with a 69-24 career record and a 1.37 career ERA.

“I don’t identify myself with any of the awards,” she said. “More than anything, it’s just about being able to come out everyday and do what I love.

Instant leadership

Bourgeois has been in post-season play in each of her three seasons and has advanced to a Women’s College World Series.

Even though she is in her first year with the team, Bourgeois’ resume and experience make her a leader.

“She has a really good mental approach to the game,” head coach Kyla Holas said. “She tends to follow up an error with a strikeout.

“She’s that kid in the clutch that can really make a difference.”

After losing her Cougar debut, Bourgeois won her next outing and recorded two saves in as many opportunities.

“You have to lose in order to gain some knowledge about how you’re going to win in the long run,” Bourgeois said. “I just have to bring my best on a daily basis.”

Bourgeois — from Lafayette, Louis. — attended Teurlings Catholic High School where she had a prestigious career that included pitching a no-hitter in a state championship game.

Bourgeois is a pre-med neuropsychology major and plans on attending medical school after she graduates.

Eight games into the season, Bourgeois is confident about what the team can accomplish during remainder of the season.

“I feel good about this season,” she said. “Every game we have made adjustments and we have progressed.

“The season is only going to get better.”

Bourgeois and the Cougars will look to continue their winning ways, as they take on the Sam Houston State Bearkats (8-1) at 4 p.m. today in Huntsville for a double-header.