Baseball

UH cuts down Lumberjacks

An early two-run deficit in the first inning did not deter the UH offense from bouncing back to win 10-3. The Cougars took advantage of four miscues from Stephen F. Austin, and the pitching staff did not allow another run until the ninth inning. | Newton Liu/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars blasted Stephen F. Austin 10-3 at Cougar Field on Tuesday to extend their winning streak to four games.

After giving up two runs in the top of the first, the Cougars tied the game by scoring two runs in the bottom of the inning.

The Cougars offense exploded for six more runs in the second, thanks in large part to sloppy Lumberjack defense. The Lumberjacks had a passed ball, a wild pitch and three errors in the inning.

Joel Ansley added a home run in the third inning and the Cougars tacked on another run in the fifth inning.

Pitcher Chase Wellbrock made his UH debut going six innings, allowing two runs and five hits while striking out six batters.

“The game starts, and lights come on, he was lights out tonight,” head coach Todd Whitting said.

The Cougars offense continued its exceptional play by scoring 10 runs. The team has scored 40 runs through four games this season.

Strong defensive effort

Offense was not the only unit that shined. The defense played exceptionally with several highlight reel-type plays from shortstop Chase Jensen.

“He had a couple of web-gem plays tonight that were big-time, and a huge two-out triple that put the game out of reach,” Whitting said.

The team has executed to Whitting’s standards but he said, it still has areas to improve upon.

“We have some baserunning issues,” Whitting said.

“A ground ball was hit and the runner didn’t score from third, but in close ballgames those are big plays.”

The Cougars will play again at 6:30 p.m. Friday when they face Ole Miss in a three-game series at Cougar Field.