Staff hit by reductions first

The University eliminated 136 staff positions over the last three years, and that number could increase if budgetary bills proposed in the Texas House and Senate are passed.

Special Report
Budget cuts

Every Thursday, The Daily Cougar will take an in-depth look at how proposed cuts to the state’s higher education allocation will affect the University and its future.

Feb. 17: Tier One initiative

Feb. 24: Staff terminations

March 3: Athletics programs

March 10: The role of community colleges

March 24: Public vs. private debate

March 31: Financial aid

Track this series and find expanded resources on thedailycougar.com/budgetcuts2011

Budget cuts proposed by the Texas House would cut up to $100 million of the UH system budget over the next two years; $65 million of those cuts would be for the UH main campus.

According to data presented to The Daily Cougar by Carl Carlucci, vice president for administration and finance, a reduction in force, or RIF, has been occurring at UH since 2009, which saw 32 positions eliminated.

In 2010, after the state requested a 5 percent reduction in the 2010-2011 biennial budget, a total of 60 positions were either eliminated or consolidated. The State requested an additional refund of 2.5 percent in December, and so far in 2011, 44 staff positions have been either eliminated or consolidated.

Whether or not the total of 136 positions means that 136 people are now without jobs was not made clear by administration. At times, positions that have yet to be filled are simply eliminated from the University’s job postings. In other instances, personnel whose position has been eliminated are sometimes reassigned.

There are four reasons why reductions have occurred, according to the office of administration and finance.

The first is a lack of revenue for either a program or a business. Staff positions within programs that are funded from sources outside the University are affected by this, as are staff members who work in businesses on campus.

A consolidation of jobs to eliminate duplication and organizational changes within departments are the next two reasons given for RIFs. This occurs when services or programs are centralized or eliminated.

The fourth reason for RIFs is what UH is currently facing: state budget reductions.

Despite the elimination of staff positions, there has been no freeze in hiring at UH.

“We’re pretty much past the fat and flesh and at the bone. We just can’t cut past a certain point,” Provost John Antel said at a Faculty Senate meeting Wednesday.

Antel also said using personnel more efficiently could allow the University to function with fewer employees. For example, the new version of the Peoplesoft system could allow students to be more interactively involved with degree plans and academic advising.

Antel said implementing new technology in classrooms could substitute the need for some staff, particularly in Information Technologies.

Professor of anthropology and Faculty Senate member Kenneth Brown said budget cuts were made while he was chair of the department and positions were eliminated. Since then, the school of anthropology, which has the second-highest number of undergrad students, has lost additional personnel, including work-study positions and a full-time business administrator.

“We’ve had money cut from our ability to train students,” Brown said.

Khator is considering dozens of suggestions made anonymously by students, staff and faculty for ways the University could cut costs and increase its revenue stream. Among the suggestions being considered are making larger undergrad classes completely online to reduce dependency on staff and eliminating redundant clerical positions.

“Until the Legislature says that this is what the budget is going to be, people are going to be working on a variety of contingency plans so that if we get this level of funding, we do that, or if get another level funding, we do that,” Brown said. “I think they’re budgeting more towards the severe cuts because that is the more likely scenario.”

Representatives from UH’s Staff Council and Human Resources deferred to the Office of University Communications when reached for comment.

• ^It’s not UH’s money. From press release “The purchase will be financed 100 percent by enhanced underwriting and ongoing private gift fundraising by KUHF.”

It is funny that UH is wasting money posting up billboards around town touting the Carnegie ranked Tier One Research. Don’t waste money to promote it if you are not tier one yet!

• The sad situation about staff reductions is that professors who are capable of teaching will be lat go of while top researchers who care less about teaching and their students will be kept. Some of the best instructors I had were graduate students and doctoral candidates, their knowledge and understanding of student's situations was bar none. Unlike tenured professors, these other teachers actually care and know how to teach.

• The people they need to fire is staff from the Financial Aid Office. The ones that are rude, unhelpful, and just don't give a f. about helping the students. Also they lie to students about financial aid opportunities.