Team wins 27 awards

UH’s Forensic Society took first place in a debate competition against the US Air Force Academy.

In addition to winning the competition, the UHFS received 27 individual awards for placement in various events during the competition last week in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Senior captain Chris Hunter, a human development and family studies major, won first place in the poetry and program of oral interpretation categories.

Ellen Goodacre, a freshman journalism and creative writing major, took first place in the novice parliamentary debate category.

The UHFS has won 25 national championships since the organization was revived in 2002 after a four-year absence.

“In my opinion,” Hunter said, “I think we have the best team in the country.”

Michael Fain, director of forensics, attributes the team’s success to not putting emphasis on winning awards, and also to his laid back style.

“I will absolutely care not more than they care,” Fain said. “If I care, and I push them, and the students are already pushing themselves and you’re not successful, then two people are upset,” Fain said. “I don’t get upset.”

Fain instead focuses on using the team’s acquired skills to reach out to the community.

When not competing, the organization holds contests for elementary schools, volunteers at homeless shelters and performs improvisational theater for children at local orphanages.

“We spread our skills out to the community rather than keep what we know to ourselves,” Hunter said. “The most precious thing you can give is your time.”

The competition events included informative speaking, extemporaneous speaking, a speech prepared on political issues and team and individual debates.

“The University of Houston team has established such a strong reputation around the country,” Fain said.

Political science sophomore Maria Alfaro, who won second place in the novice prose portion of the event, was proud to represent UH.

“It was a huge blessing and an honor to have been able to attend such a prestigious tournament,” Alfaro said. “I was overwhelmed about the caliber of the schools that were present, and I felt privileged to represent UH.”

The organization has a membership of 283, 40 of whom compete in speech and debate competitions.

Membership is open to anyone regardless of experience.