Dinner profits benefit hungry children

The United Nations Children Fund at UH will be holding its second annual banquet Thursday night to fundraise and provide awareness for world hunger.

About 22,000 children die every day around the world from causes that can be prevented, according to www.unicefusa.org.

“Even a single child dying, when it can be prevented, is absolutely unacceptable,” said Miko Tsubaim, president of the UNICEF at UH chapter.

All students and faculty are welcome to attend and are allowed to bring guests.

The tickets can be bought online for $10 at www.unicefatuh.com.

“Last year we were pretty successful in our efforts,” Tsubaim said. “We raised over $12,000, and I feel like we really extended the awareness of world hunger on campus.”

All proceeds earned will be sent to the U.S. Fund for Unicef, where it will be distributed to one of over 165 countries in need.

Goals for this year’s banquet have been set higher.

“This year we hope to get a strong turnout and more attendance,” Tsubai said. “Our goal is to raise even more awareness than we did last year. More awareness leads to more fundraising.”

The banquet will be hosted in the Houston Room at the University Center, with Director of the Southwest Region of UNICEF Sonya Renner in attendance as guest speaker.

UNICEF at UH has been a school-sponsored organization since 2005 and has about 75 members.

Members have conducted numerous campaigns and events that advocate children’s rights and the awareness of world hunger.

They also make contributions to the Star of Hope Food Bank and hold weekly bake sales.