Men's Basketball

Tulane tops UH

The Cougars let their five-point cushion at halftime slip away in the second half, as the Green Wave outscored UH 51-43 after halftime. Decision-making and ball security were issues for UH as it committed 12 more turnovers than Tulane. | Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars achieved their second five-game losing streak of the season, falling 80-77 to Tulane on Wednesday.

The Cougars (12-16, 4-11 Conference USA) had a chance to come back, trailing 71-65 with 2 minutes and 30 seconds remaining in the game. Over the next two minutes of play, the Cougars would get defensive stops or force turnovers on four consecutive possessions, but on each ensuing possession they also either came up empty or fell prey to turnovers (0-3 FGA, 2 TO).

The Cougars led at halftime 34-29 on the strength of strong post scoring from Maurice McNeil, who had 10 first-half points. Darian Thibobeaux added six points, with two 3-pointers and grabbed five rebounds.

One of the Cougars’ goals coming into the game was to defend better against the three-point shot after Tulane (13-15, 3-12) connected for 14 treys in their last meeting. UH was successful in that area, holding the Green Wave to 7-of-25 from deep (28 percent), but the Cougars’ own mistakes on offense was their downfall.

Turnovers were the culprit behind the Cougars’ defeat, as they committed them.