Review enters top echelon of journals

The Houston Law Review has been ranked number 39 by the Washington & Lee rankings, placing it in the top 3 percent of all legal scholarship journals worldwide.

The Houston Law Review is a scholarly journal written by University of Houston Law Center students. The publication publishes legal studies and research.

Editor-in-chief Michelle Gray,said the journal is in its 48th volume of publication.

“Each year, the Review publishes five issues containing a varied body of legal scholarship dedicated to fostering intellectual discourse among the professional and academic community,” Gray said. “The primary ranking for law journals is done by Washington and Lee Law School every year.”

The Houston Law Review helps improve the writing and analytical skills of its members, teach leadership and prepare students for legal practice.

“This is just one indicator of why the Law Center maintains such a strong reputation among other schools, scholars, practicing attorneys and prospective students,” UH Law Center Dean Ray Nimmer said. “Congratulations not only to the current editors and faculty advisers, but to everyone who has contributed to the Law Review over the years.”

The Houston Law Review strives to improve the journal’s visibility and reputation in the legal community.

“Our most recent endeavor is HLRe, the Law Review’s new, online-only publication geared towards legal practitioners, law clerks, judges, and attorneys,” Gray said. “HLRe is an attempt to step outside the box of traditional law review scholarship in order to find and publish articles aimed at the practice of law. Our editors believe that HLRe is a wonderful complement to our traditional print journal.”

The national rankings are established according to the number of citations to the journal.

“In order to calculate a ranking, the number of citations to the journal is weighed with the number of articles published by the journal in that given year,” Gray said. “The precise calculation takes into account the most recent eight years.”

In addition to the publication of legal scholarship, the Houston Law Review, with the support of the Frankel Family, hosts an annual lecture focused on bringing scholars to the Houston legal community.

“This lecture provides an opportunity for the exchange of ideas and legal discussion,” Gray said. “Topics vary from year to year, based on the relevant and timely legal issues of the day.”