Fun on the frontier as Fiesta draws near

Frontier Fiesta will take up parking lot 12B from Friday through Monday, April 4.  | The Daily Cougar File Photo

Frontier Fiesta will take up parking lot 12B from Friday through Monday, April 4. | The Daily Cougar File Photo

The University community is abuzz with the possible effects of looming budget cuts, but organizers of Frontier Fiesta report the festival has not been affected.

“As far as budget is concerned, we have had no major setbacks to speak of,” said Matthew Robbins, director of operations for Frontier Fiesta.

“An unexpected twist over past years is that our director of development has been extremely productive and has brought in lots of additional funding and sponsors that will add more activities to the festival,” Robbins said.

Cameron Bailey, director of marketing and public relations for Frontier Fiesta, said the event still has strong community support.

“We still have strong support from alumni and businesses that are interested in participating more with the University,” Bailey said. “Funding is coming along great this year.”

According to its website, sponsors include Bud Light, Abercrombie and Fitch, 59 Diner and ExxonMobil.

“Last summer a great deal of time was spent by marketing and development in the University Archives, making sure we stuck to our traditions,” Robbins said. “This year, you will see the revived mascot on our advertisements and the return of a UH Football Scrimmage Game on Saturday.”

Fiesta revelers will also enjoy an increased number of vendors offering free samples and promotions.

“Students can expect a classic tradition that is constantly improving,” Bailey said. “Student participation has been going up, and there will be a range of activities like paintball and variety shows.”

While Frontier Fiesta aims for UH students and the Houston community to have fun, parking lots have to shut down to make way for all the attractions.

Parking and Transportation will fence off economy lot 12B starting on Friday. This lot will remain closed until no later than Monday, April 4, 2011.

Students with economy permits may park in any student lot between March 22 and March 27.

A complete map of parking closures is available on the Frontier Fiesta website.

“Fiesta has been working with parking and transportation more than ever to increase awareness of the event and avoid major setbacks to student inconvenience,” Robbins said.

Frontier Fiesta 2011 will take place March 24—26.

For more information, visit www.uh.edu/fiesta.