Men's Basketball

Youthful coach’s enthusiasm propels career

Eleven years into his coaching career, Ulric Maligi is a seasoned veteran who has helped develop future NBA players, but at 26 years old, he is only a few years older than some of the players on the UH roster.

Maligi’s spot on head coach James Dickey’s bench can be traced back to when Maligi was an 18-year-old AAU coach and Dickey was an assistant at Oklahoma State.

“I’ve known him for a long time and observed him when he was still going to school at Howard,” Dickey said.

“He was a natural at it, very competitive, great relationship with the players. They really responded to him and he had a really good eye for talent and an unbelievable work ethic.”

Dickey and Maligi’s relationship grew as Dickey recruited Byron Eaton, who played for Maligi’s AAU team, the Dallas Mustangs.

Eaton would play for Dickey at Oklahoma State and Maligi would go onto take assistant coaching jobs at Texas-Arlington and Stephen F. Austin after he graduated.

“We would always see each other on the road and always stayed in contact,” Maligi said. “When he got the head job here he called me and there was no hesitation; I wanted to be with him and at the University of Houston. It was a no-brainer.”

Maligi impressed Dickey with his basketball acumen and dedication to the game. by attending Oklahoma State practices.

“I had my eye on him as someone that I respected. He was really wise and mature beyond his years,” Dickey said. “I knew right off the bat that he was a student of the game. He used to come our practices when I was at Oklahoma State – and ask questions.”

Recruiting is a group effort for the coaching staff. Maligi’s ability to connect with people and his ties to Dallas AAU programs makes him a major asset.

“Relationships are a big part of recruiting,” Maligi said. “The comfort level that coaches have with you. I’m usually recruiting from high school programs or AAU programs with the coaches I’ve known since I’ve played against them or since I was 18, 19-years old in college. “

Maligi’s people skills have already paid dividends as the Cougars look to move forward next season with a solid recruiting class coming in after a disappointing first season.
“We’re laying the groundwork to be successful in the future,” Maligi said. “The biggest thing is putting in a foundation.

“It’s kind of frustrating at times, but at the end of the day, the future is bright and next year we will be able to build on the foundation laid this year.”

Maligi has his eye on being a head coach, but is in no rush. He is still soaking up information from a coaching staff ripe with experience.