Info sessions explain process

Students will have a chance to learn about research opportunities and information about applying to graduate and professional schools from faculty and area professionals.

A Research and Career Information Day is scheduled from 2-6 p.m. Thursday at the University Center Houston Room.

“This is a way for students from all fields and disciplines, undergraduate and graduate students, to find out what research can really do for them,” said Karen Weber, director of the office of undergraduate research at The Honors College. “Whether it’s graduate school or it’s a research opportunity while you’re in school, or once you graduate, we’re trying to help students accomplish these goals.”

The Research and Career Information Day consists of three parts that includes a series of lectures about research in different fields, applying for graduate and professional schools and a career-information fair that will have employers looking for researchers.

Weber hopes that students will take advantage of the opportunities provided even if they are not thinking about graduate school yet.

“I hope that students will take this opportunity to find out the different ways that research can leverage their careers,” Weber said.

From 2:30-4 p.m., the lecture series will take place in various rooms around the UC. Faculty and other professionals will discuss research methods and their current undertakings.

There will be three different tracks of lectures for students to choose from. Track one is Science, Technology, Engineering and Math based and will take place in the San Antonio room. Track two is for Business and Hotel and Restaurant management and will take place in the El Paso Room. Track three is Liberal Arts, Social Sciences and Education based and will take place in the Dallas room.

The second part of the day will be the Applying to Graduate and Professional School session from 4 to 5 p.m.

Roundtable sessions will be held in the various rooms in the second floor of the UC where faculty members will be discussing whether graduate school is right for you, what committees are seeking and how you can put your best foot forward.

The third aspect of the event is the Research Career Information Fair. It will be going on simultaneously with the graduate and professional school session, and runs from 4 to 6 p.m. UH faculty who are currently seeking undergraduate or graduate researchers will be on hand.

There will also be members of the community who are looking for researchers from the University, and UH graduate school programs will be there representing their programs.

Student wanting to attend the graduate and professional school session should RSVP at www.career.uh.edu/careersuccessseries/research/ by today.

The event was originally schedule to be in February, but weather caused the event to be rescheduled. More than 300 people were slated to attend the event on its original date and organizers do not believe that rescheduling will hurt attendance.

The event is hosted by the Office of Undergraduate Research, UH Learning through Discovery Programs, University Career Services, the Biomedical Engineering Society — UH Chapter, Rockwell Business Career Center, Engineering Career Center and the Houston Undergraduate Research Network.