First spring football scrimmage draws near

After wrapping up their fifth spring practice yesterday, just one more remains before the Cougars will have their first game-like experience.

The backup players and newcomers will receive another opportunity to impress their coaches and teammates Saturday when UH has its first scrimmage.

Saturday’s scrimmage will be at Robertson Stadium and fans are invited to attend; however, the time has not been announced yet.

The second scrimmage will be at 10 a.m. April 2 at Carl Lewis Field. The spring season will end with the annual spring game at 2 p.m. April 9 in Robertson Stadium.

The Cougars received more help on the offensive line with the commitment of lineman Josh McNeill.

McNeill is 6-6 sophomore who weighs in at 285 pounds. He redshirted in his freshman season, and then played one season at Blinn. He attended Magnolia High School. He was also recruited to play for Purdue.

“Josh is a big body with a lot of athletic ability. He will add some much-needed depth to our offensive line,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said in a release.

“He has three years to play after redshirting at Blinn, so there’s time for him to really learn our system and grow.”

Today’s double-header postponed until April

The Cougars were originally scheduled to play a pair of games against Texas State in San Marcos today, but that is no longer the case. The two-game set has been moved until April 22.

UH will play its next game in Hattiesburg, Miss., to play the Southern Miss. Golden Eagles (9-16, 0-3).

The Cougars (18-12, 2-3) first game is at 1 p.m. Saturday.