Hispanics become second largest US race

The numbers from the US Census Bureau are coming out, and Hispanics are the second most populous ethnicity in America as of 2010. A recent CNN article heralded the news and several newspapers soon followed, breaking respective stories on the phenomenon and revealing high growth in Hispanic communities across the nation.

Naturally, large numbers were posted for Texas, which experienced a remarkable population surge; however, Hispanics are responsible for most of that growth. Hispanic population growth has been the subject of many political debates and conversations, with all sides in agreement that Hispanics are poised to become the new American majority very soon. The Census numbers are indicative of those claims.

As long as full citizenship and all civil liberties and freedoms therein are granted, ethnic population growth in a democracy will lead to new power and position on the democratic totem pole. Because their higher population grants them a louder voice, Hispanics will have new clout and influence over the democratic processes. As a unified force, this demographic can alter the government’s approach and responsiveness to the issues that affect the Hispanic community.

In Texas, which not only experienced a boom in Hispanic population growth, but in overall population as well, four new congressional seats will be added to its US delegation, and many are speculating that these new seats may be in large Hispanic communities. Hispanics have the opportunity to increase their political representation in the US and in Texas as well, which would open up new possibilities.

One such change could be a win in the fight over state-wide budget cuts, especially with respect to financial aid. Many minorities rely heavily on such help, and if these cuts are successful, many Hispanic/Latino students would be locked out of the opportunity to pursue a higher education. It’s a bleak reality with serious consequences for equality.

Furthermore, such growth can challenge law-makers to reconsider their positions on controversial legislation that serves to limit the voting rights and civil liberties of Hispanic Americans. One such measure is the Voter ID bill, a Jim Crow-esque policy that would cripple Hispanic voting power.

Historically, the United States has been a land of rapid changes and radical movements, all of which have bettered our American society. The contributions of the Hispanic populace to American society is immeasurable, though it is rarely given credit and attention by our national leaders.

But unlike leaders and politicians, numbers don’t usually lie, and the numbers coming out of the US Census Bureau are in favor of a new Hispanic voice. The census paves the way for a new Hispanic leadership that resonates and amplifies the concerns of the Hispanic community and communicates their visions for the country.

It starts on the campuses, especially on diverse campuses like the University of Houston, which boasts established and active Hispanic student-groups and fraternities. These students carry the torch, and with their large and growing population base, they will capture America’s attention and demand for us to listen.

This is what makes our country unique and exceptional. American culture is a tapestry of woven races and ethnicities stitched by a common thread of similar values and beliefs.

The Census Bureau, CNN and many other news outlets have dawned a new day for Hispanics, but it will be up to the students and the Hispanic leadership to ensure that this day doesn’t quickly fade to black.

• 'Furthermore, such growth can challenge law-makers to reconsider their positions on controversial legislation that serves to limit the voting rights and civil liberties of Hispanic Americans. One such measure is the Voter ID bill, a Jim Crow-esque policy that would cripple Hispanic voting power.'

How is simply asking for a form of legal ID in order to vote along the lines of strict literacy tests, grandfather clauses and other such disgraceful laws.

• What is the fear about proving who you are and that you can legally vote in this country? It boggles the mind.