Health

Naughty nights could improve your health

Multiple studies have shown that engaging in sexual activity can help you lose weight, improve psychological health, reduce feelings of pain, stress and can even add years to your life.  | Photos.com

Multiple studies have shown that engaging in sexual activity can help you lose weight, improve psychological health, reduce feelings of pain, stress and can even add years to your life. | Photos.com

Marvin Gaye had the right idea when he said “I need sexual healing” because come to find out so does everyone else.

That’s right, it’s been proven — the more sex you have, the better off you are healthwise. Getting frisky in the bedroom can not only help boost your immune system but it also helps you keep a healthy weight. But if that’s not enough to excite you, then maybe this will: There have been studies linking sexual intercourse to the psychological well being of individuals too.

Just ask Adam Pruitt, a UH communications graduate student, who believes a little frisky behavior helps gets his juices flowing — when studying that is — and puts his mind at ease.

“Sometimes I feel like after I have sex, my mind is more at ease and I’m able to concentrate more,” Pruitt said. “It makes me feel like I can accomplish anything, good grades included.”

Gail Saltz, a psychiatrist with the New York Presbyterian Hospital, during a Today segment on health and sex, said that sex is not only healthy for you but it adds years to your life.

“Sex has typically been underestimated when it comes to physical, psychological, intellectual and spiritual well-being,” she said.

Over the past several years, according to Saltz, studies have suggested that sex can boost the immune system, ease stress, boost cardio health and fight aging.

But in order to engage in this “healthy practice,” one must find a partner with whom they feel comfortable sharing this erotic pleasure.

“You want to make sure you are in a healthy relationship,” Saltz said. “Where good energy is being given back and forth between you and your partner and you feel comfortable with yourself, your body and your sexual desires.”

But just use caution, studies have also shown that being risqué can be risky.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted a study on their website recently that suggests that while sexual interaction can help people lose weight, those who engage in the naughty pleasure with multiple partners run a higher risk of contracting diseases — and let’s not forget unplanned pregnancies.

But let’s not get bogged down with the negative implications sexual behavior has for individuals; instead, lets get down to business and talk about how good sex can be to you and for you.

A game of x-rated sports?

Walter, a security guard at Calhoun Lofts, said sex sure beats a day at the gym. “Sex is a sport. You have to do some lifting, squatting…you get a workout from it.” And he’s right. Studies have proven that sex helps you lose calories and burn fat because it increases blood flow and gets your heart pumping. An article featured on Healthonline.com, said that you burn about 30 calories for every 20 minutes of moderate sex.

Sex reduces prostate cancer risk

The healthline website reported that Australian researchers published a study in 2003, “showing that the more often men ejaculate between the ages of 20 and 50, the less likely they are to develop prostate cancer.”

It also reduces stress and pain, so if your head hurts, your cure may not be in the medicine cabinet but in the bedroom — of course, this may be wishful thinking. Studies show that when one is engaged in sex, oxytocin is released decreasing feelings of pain.

Sex fights colds and flu?

Yes. Several studies have revealed that people who have sex regularly during the course of a week, tend to release higher amounts of the antibody immunoglobulin, which is the body’s defense mechanism against colds and flu.

It takes teamwork

Jordan Tao, UH business administration graduate student said that while sex may be healthy physically, she is more concerned about with how it makes her feel mentally.

“It is a good physical release, but what’s left after that when there’s no emotion,” she asked. “Being emotionally connected with that person comes first, because sex is a physical, emotional and mental process.”