Weekend performance of Greek tragedy is a breath of fresh air

This weekend The Honors College held their production of “Agamemnon” in the Wortham Theatre as part of Dionysia 2011. Directed by John Harvey and Jennifer Sommers, it is a refreshing take on the ancient Greek tragedy, which is the first in the Oresteia trilogy.

The play opens with the haunting trill of a piano, lingering long enough to leave the audience in a state of tension. As the chorus enters the audience finds that the ancestral elders that would traditionally have made up the chorus are now revamped into ambiguous figures clothed in simple crew-necks with striking designs in various colors.

The designs, put together by Ashley Hope, are ancient Greek symbols that signify important qualities of each member. Each chorus member colors the stage as much with their own unique persona as with the bright colors of their outfits.

The chorus sets the scene of the play with grave pathos, aided by a mysterious watchman, Jonathan Sanford. We are next introduced to two women, Kylie Peiper and Ashley Vilardi, clad in red gossamer gowns. Revealed to be Klytaimestra’s shadows, the two hover in and out throughout the play.

The enigmatic blend of ancient and modern characters is a compelling and thought-provoking component of the play.

Many who were new to the works of Aeschylus were also surprised by the startlingly intense and violent nature of the drama. “Agamemnon” is a story of murder, vengeance and cannibalism. It is a story of a house cursed by evil deeds and descendents that fall victim to the fate of their ancestors.

Director John Harvey made the choice to preserve the gritty realism of the work in a translation he put together from various sources as well as with the help of the UH Latin Department.

“I don’t like audiences to feel safe,” Harvey said.

He reasons that the work is intended to disturb and offend, and his desire is to stay true to that purpose. Harvey says more specifically that he wants to reveal “something of the human becoming bestial.”

To that end, Klytaimestra (Misha Penton), and Kasandra (Brandy Robichau Holmes) play a vital role. The dynamic performance of the two women gives the audience a sense of the savagely emotional. Kasandra’s fearful prophetic visions and Klytaimestra’s eccentrically lyrical monologues that build up to a piercing wail in the final scene allow the audience a glimpse into the extremes of the human psyche.

Additionally, Klytaimestra’s hysterics play an interesting contrast to Agamemnon’s (Mark Carrier) calm and stoic demeanor and Aigisthus’ (Tyson Woolman) dark revelry. This is a story with many layers and a play textured with a fascinating array of characters.

Its modern elements give it a stylist edge that is a delight to watch. And for any who may have missed the experience, Agamemnon will be performed once more for free at 8:00 p.m. this evening in Kohn’s Bar in midtown.