Members raise funds with personal sources

The University of Houston Young Professionals Political Action Committee is not an on-campus, university-funded organization, but they are an organization that supports education through legislation for the University.

UH PAC is an organization in which members utilize their personal resources and private donations to benefit the University.

They use their own money as well as their abilities to help create or bring change for the benefit of UH.

Members connect with legislators who are interested in not only helping with legislation for education, but that are interested in helping the University.

PAC was established in 1982, and has not received any funding, and still do not receive funding, from UH.

“It’s very important to note that we do not receive any funding from the University,” Andrew Cobos, UH PAC chairman, said. “It’s not an extension of the University of Houston.”

Utilizing their personal resources and own contributions, concerned alumni and students speak with representatives that influence legislation regarding the interest of the University.

They only receive funds from those supporting the goals of UH through legislation, Cobos said.

The current objective is the National Research University Funds. These are funds that will be distributed to the top research universities in Texas.

So far, seven Texas universities, including the University of Houston, may receive these funds.

Through this objective, the University will be closer to achieving flagship status.

The organization is also seeking new members and offers the positions of chairman and treasurer.

Anyone can become a member as long as they share the interest and are prepared to take the initiative towards helping the University achieve their goals.

The organization held an event, the UH Young Professionals Rock Tier One, to raise funds, connect with young professionals and get more people involved with the goals of the organization.

“We want students and alumni to get energized and involved,” Cobos said.

To obtain more information about the organization, visit the website at www.friendsoftheuniversityofhouston.com.