First-time Mexican guest lectures, leadership

Former Mexican President Vicente Fox will lecture on Leadership and Spirituality in America at 3 p.m. Tuesday in Agnes Arnold Auditorium 1.

A question-and-answer session will follow. The event is free and open to the public.

This is the first time the former president will visit the campus, which is sponsored by the Gülen Institute and the Graduate College of Social Work.

“We are pleased to partner with the Gülen Institute to provide this educational opportunity for students to hear firsthand from an international leader,” said Ira Colby, dean of the college, in a press release. “Mexico is an important international neighbor and friend to the United States. Both during and after his presidency, Vicente Fox has been a staunch advocate to eradicate poverty and promote public education for all people. His perspectives on immigration are important, in particular, as Texas and the United States continue to struggle with undocumented people and their place in our economy.”

Fox was president of Mexico from 2000 to 2006. His election brought down the 71 year-rule of the Institutional Revolutionary Party. He maintained a good relationship with the US during his presidency.

He is also the author of “Revolution of Hope: The Life, Faith and Dreams of a Mexican President.”

Fox has visited Houston a number of times after his presidency. His most recent visit was in February of this year at the Hispanic Business Center.

To attend the one-hour lecture RSVP to Michelle Wheatley at [email protected].