Track & Field

Eleven Cougars set for season’s final test at NCAA Championships

Today marks the beginning of the end of track and field season with the NCAA Championships beginning in Des Moines, Iowa.

Senior Alex Bentley will be the lone pole vaulter for UH; his event starts at 5:35 p.m. today. Senior Wesley Bray will complete the first half of the decathlon today starting at noon.

Senior jumper Chris Carter qualified for two events, and will represent UH in the long and triple jump. Lamar Delaney will join Carter in the triple jump and Jonathan Williams will participae in the long jump.

Sophomore Errol Nolan makes a return trip to the meet to run the 400-meter dash. For the women’s team, junior Grecia Bolton qualified for the 100 and 200-meter dash. Junior DeMeeka Jones will run in the 100-meter hurdles.

The combination of Bolton, Kalyn Floyd, Whitney Harris and Tai’Shea Reese will represent UH in the 4×100-meter relay. The Cougars are ranked as the No. 4-ranked team.

Two members of UH volleyball brace for international stage

Head coach Molly Alvey was selected as one of three coaches who will travel to Beijing, China, for the China-USA Challenge Invitational.

The competition features 24 of the top collegiate players from the US taking on Chinese collegiate and club teams, as well as the Chinese Youth National Team.

The teams will train on June 7-8 at the Anaheim Sports Center and leave for Beijing on June 9. The competition lasts through June 20.

Junior middle blocker Lucy Charuk was named to the 2011 Canadian Senior National Team. She will train this month for a match against Team Argentina. Next is the Pan-American Cup from June 29-July 9 in Chihuahua, Mexico.