Free Gaza movement worth the risk

On May 31, 2010 a modest flotilla of ships carrying medicine, children’s toys and rudimentary construction materials tried to break the illegal siege the nation of Israel imposed on the Gaza Strip. Israeli commandos attacked and boarded the ships in international water and killed nine unarmed peace activists, including a 19-year-old American citizen.

The four year Israeli siege on Gaza has prevented Palestinians from entering or leaving the Gaza strip for any reason, including medical care.

The Israeli government has also cut off food, medicine, electricity and water. According to UNICEF, 80 percent of Gaza’s population lives in horrifying poverty and relies heavily on UN Aid.

Despite the deadly attack on their ships last May, the Free Gaza movement has voiced its commitment to alleviating the dismal conditions of the Palestinian people. Thus, they have announced another flotilla to set sail this summer.

In the new flotilla, each ship will fly its own flag to represent each country involved in the effort, including an American ship the activists are calling “The Audacity of Hope.”

Israel is already beginning to react harshly. Government officials have even characterized the peace activists as “terrorists.” This is, of course, laughable as it not only dilutes the meaning of that word, but also highlights the delusion of the Israeli position.

Ordinary people in route to Gaza on boats full of humanitarian aid can by no stretch of the imagination be considered terrorists. They are merely moral and courageous people who can’t stand by and watch the suffocation of Gaza happen. Press release after press release from the Israeli government has contained threats of violence and retribution to anyone involved in the flotilla, but the activists have not been dissuaded.

Organizers of the flotilla have reaffirmed the movement’s dedication to non-violence and direct action in order to break this unconscionable siege.

They recognize that the danger of bodily harm or even death is high, especially since Israel has become more belligerent. They remember their colleague Furkan Dogan, the 19-year-old American killed last year, as a testament to the extremism and brutality of the Israeli government.

Remarkably, the Free Gaza movement has only grown in size since Furkan’s murder. The activists realize they are taking a risk. But, they also realize that in comparison with the daily suffering of the Gazan people, this risk is a small burden to bear.

Dana El Kurd is a senior political science and economics major and may be reached at [email protected].

• Abu Danasawhore,

Yet further proof of the vulgarity of israel's supporters. Oh and did you think that changing your name would fool anyone you coward? ISRAEL IS IN TERMINAL DECLINE, THE SIGNS OF IMPENDING COLLAPSE ARE EVIDENT AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. THAT IS WHY YOU ARE FREAKING OUT AND THAT IS WHY YOU CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT 🙂

• and sexual slurs against the author are ok? you know you could at least try to change you style dumb dumb.

Jim=bob= Abu Danasawhore= coward

• I never said they had firearms, i said they were taking the firearms from the soldiers. Israel proposed inspecting the cargo at the Port of Ashdod and then delivering non-blockaded goods through land crossings, but this proposal was turned down. Usually, all ships bound for Gaza are inspected at this port, but the activist on the boat decided they did not want to follow the rules. Im pretty sure you know about the threat that Israel is in. The countries surrounding Israel would like nothing more than to see Israel wiped off the map. If Israel shows any type of weakness, all is lost for her. Tons of weapons are smuggled into Gaza each year, all Israel is doing, is making sure that the security of its citizens isn't threatened. Stopping the boat was a security measure.

• My aunt – a kindly 66 year old woman – was killed by a suicide bomber from Gaza. Her "crime"? Being a Jew and going for lunch with my uncle (who now walks with a cane and a prosthetic left leg) to a pizza restaurant.

The next week, my mother called in tears. The news had been showing the video the bomber made before blowing himself up.

What does Dana have to say about it? Ah yes, "jews are evil." The same thing the man who murdered my aunt in cold blood simply for being born Jewish said.

• Dana conveniently leaves out a few facts.

1) There was little doubt the ships were carrying weapons to Gaze.
    2) The IDF gave the ship ample warning –as well as options for delivering the contents — but these communications were ignored.
    3) When the ship's captain ignored the IDF's offer, then the IDF sent personnel in to search the ship for weapons.
    4) These IDF men were vicously attacked by the "peace" activists on the ship. They were stabbed, beaten with metal rods, and one was thrown from an upper deck to a lower deck.
    5) It was only then that the IDF opened fire to protect their fellow personnel from these "peace" activists, and they did so before the "peace" activists had a chance to kill the IDF who first boarded the ship. This was clearly their intention as seen in the footage taken of the incident.
    6) After calm was restored and the ship was commandered by the IDF vast quantities of arms were discovered on board "Peace" activists indeed.
    7) There is ample footage available of the "peace" activists brutally attacking the IDF personnel before any response was taken.

• Dana, why do you lie so often about Israel and why do you never critize Muslims for their barbaric actions and words against the only democracy in the Middle East?

Why have you remained silent as thousands of Muslims have been killed by fellow Muslims, but if Israel — in the act of defending itself from Hamas' rockets — respond against Islamist aggression you are the first to comment. Why this hypocrisy? Why this sea of lies?

• i'm glad the 6 comments were taken down. not enough people know about the press' role as a censor of free speech and an obstacle to democracy. thanks for going the extra mile

• you're a ridiculous human being. all of the comments were sexual harassment, lies, and racist drivel. like your comments exactly