Commentary

Ohio State scandal highlights need for more enforcement

Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel is still free to wear his signature sweater vests, just without the Buckeye emblem on it. After building a successful program throughout his 10-year run, Tressel leaves OSU with a disgraced name and in a wake of controversy. Co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell was named as Tressel’s replacement on an interim basis. | Courtesy of Tyler Joswick/The Lantern

Fast cars, drugs and money aren’t the typical storylines for a college football team. The same program that brought prestige to Ohio State appears to be knee deep in infractions as the NCAA is conducting investigations. Even after the resignation of head coach Jim Tressel, one of the premier programs in America is generating the worst kind of buzz.

The decorated past of OSU is the envy of most universities. Its facilities and traditions are a draw for any prospective student-athlete. They won a national championship in 2003 and played in two others since with Tressel. In that span OSU won in all three of its appearances in BCS bowl games. But during Tressel’s tenure players were maxing out on illegitimate perks from shadowy outsiders.

In retrospect Buckeye faithful will look at Dec. 23, 2010 as the day their team faced a crossroads. The NCAA announced that poster boy quarterback, Terrelle Pryor, and four teammates would be suspended for five games in 2011 for profiting off of their own memorabilia. Pryor and his teammates were just one of many groups of OSU players to sell gear for personal gain.

Sports Illustrated reported that Eddie Rife — an owner of a tattoo shop and alleged drug dealer — would either exchange cash, discounted tattoos or marijuana for OSU souvenirs dating back to 2002. Tressel knew what was going on at the tattoo parlor before the 2010 season even started, but he unsuccessfully tried to brush it under the rug.

When Tressel lied to the NCAA, he dug a hole too deep to climb out of. Not even his self-imposed five-game suspension could save him. He couldn’t control that his players consistently received improper benefits. Instead of reporting it or speaking to his team about it, he simply let it slide. His lack of discretion throughout this ordeal demonstrated an arrogant attitude, an “I’m above the law” mentality.

Separate from the tattoo incident, the Columbus Dispatch reported the NCAA would look in to the activities of car salesman Aaron Kniffin. He is being investigated for his involvement in the sales of dozens of used cars for players or their families over the past five years. Buckeye players were rumored to drive around campus in nice cars, much to the curiosity of the student body and even other athletes.

Zack Meisel and James Oldham of The Lantern, the Ohio State student newspaper, interviewed former OSU wide receiver Ray Small, who confirmed how frequently players would break rules. Whether it be tattoos or vehicles, some players could not resist the temptation that comes with being a standout athlete.

Amidst all the negative press one would think Pryor would try to keep a low profile. Instead he showed up to campus driving a ritzy Nissan 350Z the day after Tressel’s departure. In doing so, he encouraged the NCAA to dig further — as if it needed another reason. Sports Illustrated has also reported that Pryor has been associated with eight different used cars in his time at OSU.

Pryor chose to leave Ohio State last week, probably knowing he would never play another down of football again in scarlet and grey. With the proof he left behind, investigators could piece together enough evidence to extend his suspension for the season’s entirety. He deserves no pity points, as the quarterback’s dual-threat abilities are sure to land him a six-figure salary in the NFL.

Tressel created a winning culture on the field and maintained a holier than thou attitude off it. His nickname was “The Senator” because the general consensus was he had a clean reputation. Now he seems a little more like former US senator John Edwards. Tressel leaves with a damaged legacy, but because he bailed he will never face retribution for violations under his watch. He may stay out of the limelight momentarily, but like most disgraced coaches he will get another job and eventually resurface. OSU is sure to get slapped with NCAA sanctions, victimizing the future and remaining players unconnected to the scandal.

The same goes for Pryor. The quarterback knowingly and regularly committed infractions, and made thousands of dollars for being a student-athlete. He is rewarded with the opportunity to apply for the NFL Supplemental Draft. In his first time speaking to the media since leaving OSU, Pryor said his intentions were good.

“I never meant to hurt anybody directly or indirectly with my conduct off the field, and I am truly sorry,” Pryor said to Profootballweekly.com yesterday.

Even after accepting blame and apologizing, the damage is done. Pryor is bound to be a loathed figure when looking back on this era of corruption.

The premise of college sports is that they’re supposed to be amateur, not semi-amateur. This past calendar year that line has been blurred in several of the NCAA’s power conferences. Auburn, the defending national champions, faced similar allegations to OSU as Heisman Trophy Winner Cam Newton was investigated for receiving more than $100,000 to play there. In men’s basketball Connecticut won the Final Four but only after it was revealed it had committed multiple recruiting violations.

The NCAA can either choose to put the Buckeyes on a short leash or make an example out of them, even though it is Tressel and the guilty players who deserve to be reprimanded. Making OSU ineligible for the BCS championship game and a deduction in scholarships seems to be the go-to punishment, but that won’t prove much.

Boosters will not suddenly decide to stop paying players, but as long as it’s illegal those type of people need to be eradicated from college sports. Wrongdoers may think its harmless to financially reward a college athlete for a job well done, however their generosity is in the wrong place.

It could be a gradual process but outsiders affiliated with a program must be monitored. But another problem arises, as it would be impossible and over the top to track the every move of a prolific athlete when out of supervision. There is only so much that can be done until privacy is being invaded.

The NCAA needs a show of force, otherwise more prestigious teams will continue to be hijacked by those who want to take shortcuts for their school’s athletic success.

• The OSU situation seems in many respects to mirror the SMU situation prior to SMU's receipt of the Death Penalty – especially the arrogance of some of those in charge. While OSU administrators were not making the pay-offs, as was the situation at SMU, they were more than merely failing to oversee the OSU program; they were turning a blind eye to what was apparent to others and were thus complicit. Moreover, their arrogance in support ot Tressel – continuing to label him as a coach of integrity well after it was evident that he lacked integrity – should call for the removal of several in the OSU administration.