New student confirmed to Board

From early in her childhood in Alief, student Tamecia Glover Harris already knew exactly what she wanted to achieve in life.

“Growing up I knew I was going to be either an accountant or a lawyer,” Harris said.

Driven by a strong will and a natural propensity to help others, Harris backed up her words by obtaining a scholarship to UH, a bachelor’s degree and leadership roles within the UH Law Center.

Now pursuing a juris doctor, she hopes to bring the same grit and determination to the UH System Board of Regents, where she will serve as the new student regent.

“I’m excited about this opportunity,” Harris said. “I’m very proud of my school.”

As a non-voting member of the board, Harris is still trying to familiarize herself with her role and abilities.

However, she said the main issues she’s focused on are the rising tuition costs and maintaining UH’s prestigious Tier One status.

Appointed by Gov. Rick Perry, Harris feels that she is well-prepared for the job.

An intern stint at the Harris County Attorney Office’s Compliance Division, as well as a current one at the 165th Civil District Court in Houston, have gotten her accustomed to dealing with a diverse range of people.

“(The internships) prepared me because I had to deal with a lot of different personalities and encourage them,” said Harris, who has worked with seven different attorneys.

Harris has often served as an advocate for students on campus, holding positions such as president of the Black Law Students Association and student ambassador for the UH Law Center.

However, Harris explained that while she is still very sensitive to student needs and desires, she wants to focus on what’s best for both the students and the UH System as a whole in the long term, as opposed to quick fixes.

Outside of personal motives, Harris feels that she is personally invested in the success of the UH System.

Her husband currently attends UH Downtown, and she has many family members who have attended one of the University’s schools in some form.

She said that she was unsure at first about the other board members’ intents and motivations, but after attending the regents’ retreat on June 3 she found that they share many of her concerns.

“I saw that the regents truly care,” Harris said. “I’m excited to work with them.”

Harris will serve a one-year term, replacing Andrew Cobos who served last year.

Harris spoke highly of Cobos, saying that his guidance helped her to transition into her new position easily.

• we aren't Tier One. why do people keep saying that we are? oh yeah because the admins say we are. come to UH, a tier one university – where the highest paid people don't even know what tier one means yet they spend almost 100 million dollars in a single year marketing it somehow. if they had another 100 million i'm convinced they could have students worshipping satan. just gotta market him right.

• whoa! thanks for posting something insightful and interesting! i wish the paper would do the same.
    if we had a few more students who actually cared enough to look into things and not just accept what the school says, this school would be much better off.

• Tamecia is a stand-up woman. I know she will be great for this position and I trust her to advocate for students.