Administration

New president appointed for UHV

The UH System Board of Regents will have the final vote on the approval of presidency for UH-Victoria in their August meeting.

UH President Renu Khator recommended Dr. Philip D. Castille, former UH-Downtown professor, to the UH System Board of Regents in early June as the sole finalist for the presidency.

“I am delighted to be named the sole finalist for president of the University of Houston at Victoria,” Castille said in a statement released UH. “I greatly enjoyed my visit to UHV this spring, and I look forward to working with the Chancellor, the campus and the community.”

Castille served as an English professor at UHD from 1981-1994 and is currently the special assistant to the chancellor at the University of Hawaii at Hilo, according to a UH news release.

In anticipation of the final approval by the board, Castille said he is eager to get to know the students, faculty and staff of UHV as well as the whole community as they plan for the future.

“Dr. Castille offers a wealth of administrative experience, academic insight and personal commitment to the ideals of higher education,” said Khator in a news release. “We are fortunate to have someone of his caliber available to continue our efforts to help UHV fully realize its potential as a destination university.”

Castille wants to establish UHV as a fast-developing institution with a strong reputation for student success and satisfaction.

“My style is to be first and foremost a good listener — to ask for advice and listen closely to counterpoints. I take seriously my obligation to lead, but without forsaking flexibility and good humor,” Castille said.

Upon the board’s approval, Castille will replace current UHV Interim President Bob Smith, who has served since August 2010.

“The central theme of my career in higher education has been attaining student success by bringing together the whole university experience — academic, social and athletic,” Castille said. “The entire university has to be a learning environment, including the interactions that students have with faculty and staff. We all have to be dedicated to student success.”

• New president appointed for UHV
    The UH System Board of Regents will have the final vote on the approval

seems like he's not appointed yet