UH student featured on HBO documentary series

Aaron Casey, a sophomore in the UH Moores School of Music, was recently selected to star this summer as a member of the HBO documentary series “Masterclass,” a show that offers participants the opportunity to be mentored by Grammy Award Winner Bobby McFerrin.

In each “Masterclass” episode, a world-class artist gives lessons to a group of exceptionally talented students. Casey and four other participants trained with McFerrin at the Baden-Baden Festival Theater, Germany’s largest opera house.

“Studying with Bobby McFerrin was the best experience of my life,” Casey said. “It helped me to become one with the audience and with the stage.

“One of McFerrin’s biggest lessons was on improvisations. He uses this concept during most of his performances. He said that when we let go and live in the music, our art will be perfect. As long as we don’t worry about being perfect, we’ll be perfect,” Casey said.

McFerrin’s improvisation training was a departure from the more traditional classical music education that Casey grew up with. But by connecting with his childhood experiences singing in church, he was able to apply his more formal performance training to effectively improvise on stage.

Casey’s ultimate goal is to give back to society by performing as a world-renowned opera tenor.

“I love dramatic operas with big climaxes. One of my dream roles is Don Jose from the opera ‘Carmen,’” Casey said.

In his personal life, Casey is very easy-going. His passion for music life and music is reflected in his love for family and friends.

“One of my newest hobbies would involve having great conversation with my little brother. I also have lots of fun when going to the movies, hanging out with friends, and going out to eat,” Casey said.

As an active student at the University, Casey challenges himself under the tutelage of a number of professionals. Private voice instructor Professor Joseph Evans helped Casey secure and refine his singing techniques.

“Casey sings in our top choral ensemble, concert chorale, which gave Casey great insights into singing and music-making. Casey has also been active in our fabulous opera program,” Webster said.

Undoubtedly, Casey will continue his musical pursuits. He aims to graduate from UH with a bachelor’s degree in music in three years, and plans to further his education in graduate school.

“Music is my life. It is the way I express myself. I can be as extra as I want and not get hated for it, but loved. When I perform I feel complete and at home. I am going to share it with the world,” Casey said.