City

Houston begins its celebration

Children celebrate the birthday by dancing and singing on stage with one of the event’s performers, Leah White & the Magic Mirrors. | Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

Sunday marked a milestone in the Bayou City as Mayor Annise Parker and the downtown District put on a birthday bash to celebrate Houston’s 175th birthday.

The party was hosted at Market Square, where the original city hall once stood.

As the center of Houston’s historic district, the space is dedicated to creating a sense of community for Houstonians and visitors.

Families came from across the city to participate in the birthday celebration.

Kids had a chance to learn about the city’s history by watching an interactive theater as well as participating in various family-oriented activity booths set up around the event.

“I am so happy to see kids of all ages having fun, despite the heat,” said Angie Bertinot, the spokesperson for the birthday bash.

“This is a great way to learn how Houston started and how it got to where it is today.”

A performance featuring a jazz band from the High School of Performing and Visual Arts was also there to accompany the range of events.

In addition to the party, Parker announced that celebrations would continue throughout the year and detailed all the events Houston has planned for the fall.

“We want all Houstonians to have a chance to come out and celebrate the great city we call Houston,” Parker said.

Participants in the celebration hold up signs signs for the “My Houston is Here” campaign, a photography project that asks the public to take pictures at their favorite Houston spots with the poster. | Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

Houston was founded by the Allen Brothers 175 years ago along the shores of Buffalo Bayou.

The city recieved its nickname, “the Bayou City,” from the numerous natural bayous and creeks scattered around the city.

Houston’s extensive size has been attributed to its importance as a trade hub for Texas, as the city’s location along Galveston Bay has made it an important deepwater port.

More events have been planned to commemorate the city’s birthday.

For more information on upcoming celebratory events throughout the year, visit houstontx.gov.