Staff Editorial

GOP will lose voters by being against science

Anyone who has paid attention to the Republican presidential primaries should know one obvious thing about the group of contenders — they are, overwhelmingly, against the scientific community.

This can be seen in comments Rep. Michele Bachmann made in a speech in Sarasota, Fla.

“I don’t know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians,” Bachmann said.

“We’ve had an earthquake; we’ve had a hurricane. He said, ‘Are you going to start listening to me here?’ Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now.”

Bachmann’s words speak for themselves. And, unfortunately, many in the GOP base will be swayed by such an ignorant diatribe. The fact that she can get away with saying such things draws attention to a frightening anti-science, anti-intellectual and anti-secularist trend in the GOP. It speaks volumes about the descent of their party.

In order to hold onto an increasingly ignorant voter base, Republicans are alienating fiscal conservatives who may not necessarily be socially conservative. Or, at least, conservatives who have even the slightest bit of respect for the scientific community — a community that contains some of America’s brightest minds.

This could have unforeseen consequences for the Republican party. The younger generation of voters is less inclined to doubt global warming or declare evolution a farce. The GOP seems to forget that this younger generation will, at some point, become the voter base of their party.

As Perry, Bachmann and Romney continue to spew their anti-science, anti-secular rhetoric, the possibility that more young conservatives will switch over to the Libertarian party will only continue to increase. The GOP is thinking in the short term when it should be thinking in the long term.

In the next couple of election cycles, we will see evolution’s survival of the fittest play itself out in the political arena.

If the GOP is not careful, someone like Ron Paul just might come along and punctuate their equilibrium.

• It is a sad state of affairs when so called political leaders spew forth this vitriol. I have never voted republican, and never will. Just how stupid is the american voter that this nonsense will be tolerated, and even approved? Eradicate religion, why is it so hard to do?

• Pretty stupid if you think about how a man with no experience at leading anything. Managing anything, was elected into a leadership position and had two years of complete control and all he can do is say it is the other parties fault the entire time. Who blew all his steam to pass his baby when he had both senate and the house under his party's control.

Eradicate relgion…hmmm pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.

• Hes its hard to imagine that the Republican party was once a party that the likes of Edward Teller (father of the Hydrogen bomb, great scientist and foreign policy superhawk) could enthusiastically support… how far they have fallen

• This isn't a problem only of the GOP. I know countless religious Democrats who think everybody is a descendant from Adam and Eve. Wondering how many kinds they had – thousands?