Friday, October 23, 2020

Faculty & Staff

Professor writes book challenging man-made global warming beliefs

A UH professor aims to refute claims that the Earth is in a permanent warming period in his new book.

Larry Bell, an endowed professor of space architecture, said he blames misrepresented statistics and misleading politicians for the widespread belief in global warming in his book, “Climate of Corruption: Politics and Power Behind The Global Warming Hoax.”

“The notion of carbon dioxide being a pollutant is silly because carbon dioxide is what makes plants grow; it’s what whales breathe,” Bell said.

“There’s a lot of shenanigans with words.”

Bell also said that the idea of the earth being in a climate crisis is scientifically inaccurate, and that though we are currently in a warming period, climate change is cyclical, not constant.

“(A) misrepresentation is that global warming is bad; that it’s a crisis. No. There is no scientific evidence that we’re in a crisis,” Bell said. “These warming periods happen with the irregularity of electrocardiogram for lots of reasons.”

He said there is no evidence that humans are the primary cause of global warming.

“Climate models predict if there’s human global warming occurring, satellites will detect warming in the atmosphere,” Bell said.

“What are they detecting? No warming. There’s no human signature of warming caused by carbon dioxide levels.”

He said that the result of the effects humans do have on climate are unknown.

“If you were to ask me or anyone I know if humans have an effect on climate, we’d say yeah, sure,” Bell said. “But no one knows whether those effects are good or bad.”

Bell said that powerful figures, former Vice President Al Gore included, have misled the public on the issue of global warming.

Additionally, Cap and Trade legislation, which would provide economic incentives for companies to reduce their amount of hazardous emissions, is a “total scam.”

Although many politicians, including President Barack Obama, have championed a Cap and Trade proposal, Bell refutes the notion that such initiatives are motivated by environmental concern.

He cites how if such legislation passed, Gore’s own firm, Generation Investment Management, would have “made a killing” financially.

Bell is not alone in his beliefs. The Global Warming Petition Project has been signed by over 31,400 scientists.

The petition was created to refute the claim that most scientists support the idea of man-made global warming.

“People use these terms that are misrepresenting, and intentionally so.

“The statistics themselves come from very, very bad surveys,” Bell said.

Though there is much support behind Bell’s book, there are many groups who oppose it.

“(Bell) raises a barrage of obscure and marginal facts and fabrications that appear at first glance to cast doubt on the entire edifice under attack, but which on closer examination do no such thing,” said RealClimate.org, a website created to raise awareness on global warming.

The organization said that humans cause global warming and that if corrective polices related to global warming aren’t implemented, there will be permanent damage to the biosphere and civilization.

Bell is quick to rebut such assertions.

“Greenland was warmer a thousand years ago. The Roman warm period was warmer than it is today,” Bell said.

Tags: