Administration

UH report shows record enrollment

Fall 2011 saw a new record for the number of first-time college students to enroll at UH.

According to preliminary information from Susan Moreno at the University’s Institutional Research department, 3,453 first-time college students have enrolled in the University in some capacity.

Of this group, 31 percent were in the top 10 percent of their class, 45 percent were in the top 15 percent, and 56 percent were in the top 20 percent.

The average SAT score for the group was 1115.

Of the 2010-2011 class, 27 percent were in the top 10 percent of their class and 59 percent were in the top 15 percent.

For the class of 2008-2009, 21 percent were in the top 10 percent and 51 percent were in the top 15 percent.

The average SAT scores remained fairly constant from year to year, hovering between 1000 and 1200 for the combined critical reading and mathematics scores.

UH does not consider the writing scores of the SAT or a writing sample as part of the admissions process.

For 2012 admissions, the school automatically accepted applications from students that were ranked in the top 20 percent of their class in high school.

Students who were ranked between 21 and 50 percent needed at least 1000 on the SAT or 21 on the ACT.

Students ranked in the bottom 50 percent are subject to individual review before acceptance.

These criteria are only applicable to those who apply by Dec. 1.

After this date, only those in the top 10 percent regardless of standardized testing scores are guaranteed acceptance.

This year’s freshmen have a greater percentage of students in the top 10 percent of their graduating classes, yet a significantly lower percentage in the top 15 percent compared to the other years described here.