Soccer

Cougars hunting for elusive first victory

Junior Morgan Vela and the Cougars have struggled with creating scoring opportunities, managing only one goal in three matches. | Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

After dropping its first three games of the season, UH returns home looking for answers. The Cougars (0-3-0) take on the North Texas Mean Green (2-0-1) at 1 p.m. Sunday at Robertson Stadium.

Having played a contingent of top tier teams in their first three outings, the Cougars will likely find the remainder of their non-conference schedule slightly easier.

After falling 3-0 to No. 39 Texas in the season opener at Robertson, the Cougars took a road trip to North Carolina to play No. 12 Duke and top-ranked North Carolina in the Nike Classic at Chapel Hill. The Cougars dropped both games, 2-0 and 6-1 respectively.

A lack of goal scoring has been the Achilles heel for UH in the early stages of the season. The Cougars repeatedly failed to capitalize on chances, as senior forward Jessica Zavalza collected the lone tally in their first three outings.

Not only will the offensive players need to step up, a strong defensive effort will be required if the they are to end their losing streak. The Cougars will face a North Texas squad that is coming off an 11-0 home win against Grambling State, and will face SMU on Friday in Houston before playing visitor at UH on Sunday.

With five games remaining in the non-conference slate, the Cougars hope to increase their overall record before conference play starts.

With the exception of a trip across town to play HBU, the Cougars will play all of the remaining non-conference games on their home field at Robertson Stadium.

Home cooking could be a factor in the resurgence of a UH squad that has been through an arduous start to the season.